PE SUMMIT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2011
Bar Harbor, Maine
How many of you purchased a fan with the Summit? I've been using mine now for two months. I leave the fan on auto at medium level. Rarely does the temp on the top baffle go above 500 degrees. So this morning I decided to run it at "H" with the fan OFF. Bingo! Temp on the baffle got up to 550F really quickly. Of course, as soon as I put on the fan, the temp dropped back to about 400. Still lots of secondary burning.

i got a fan with my summit two seasons ago...when the repates were high. i haven't started it yet this year and been using the small Jotul upstairs for the most part. probably going down in the basement and starting it today. when running, i leave the fan on high all the time. i have to relook at my fan install as sometimes it takes quite awhile to come on and as long to sometimes turn off. i leave it on because it helps circulate the air through the house and the basement heat is much more even (translates to tollerable) when its running. While a good stove, it is in my opinion a little finniky and not my favorite stove that i've burned over time. does have a relatively big burn box which helps it run longer. i keep my drafts medium to low most of the time. seldom run it on high, plus i have a damper in my 6" single wall that helps control the burn too.

cass

The fan usually comes with the insert, not sure about the stove. You should have no problem maintaining 550+ degrees stove top temp. Check you wood and you draft. How tall a stack? Any elbows? Check the cap screen for build up. Something is amiss.

With 27" of liner here, I get her blazing and shut air lever all the way to low. Fan is always on high set on manual, fan set to low when cleaning out ash and reloading.
Fan doesn't affect temp very much here.

I run my fan on manual all the time now, it kicked on too early and then had the herky jerky's part of the time and your stove top temp will be higher with out it, on startup's I like to get the stove top really hot and then turn on the fan.

Hogwildz said:
The fan usually comes with the insert, not sure about the stove. You should have no problem maintaining 550+ degrees stove top temp. Check you wood and you draft. How tall a stack? Any elbows? Check the cap screen for build up. Something is amiss.

Agreed. I have to ask what "run it on H" means? Is that with the air control open all the way? If so, that may actually cause the stove to run cooler, sending a lot of heat up the flue.

Hogwildz said:

With 27" of liner here, I get her blazing and shut air lever all the way to low. Fan is always on high set on manual, fan set to low when cleaning out ash and reloading.
Fan doesn't affect temp very much here.

My wood is not as dry as I would like, but I only got here in Maine in November. There is nothing I could do about getting really really dry wood in November, and heating the house with propane would have cost me $4000, and we would have been freezing, it was kiln dried by the seller, and it clunks-rings like good dried wood. The stove has one elbow at the stove entry into the chimney; the pipe is 22+ feet high, and goes up the center of the house; and is a brand new Olympia stainless insert installed by a professional Chimney Sweep; The cap is not clogged.

Again, if I don't put on the fan, then the top will get really hot. Maybe its getting really hot and I don't know it because the magnet temperature gauge is being impacted by air from the fan. On a stove rather than the insert the air from the fan blows up the back and directly across the top of the baffle on the stove. It could easily affect the temperature of any spring loaded temperature gauge sitting in the flow area.

I'm not really needing it to get any hotter than it is. I mean there is a stiff wind outside and the temperature has just warmed up to 2 degrees, and the house is about 75 degrees.

BeGreen said:
Hogwildz said:

Agreed. I have to ask what "run it on H" means? Is that with the air control open all the way? If so, that may actually cause the stove to run cooler, sending a lot of heat up the flue.

On my summit, there in just one lever for air intake. All the way open: which is listed as START, and then a range from "H" to "L" with L being the lowest air setting.

I think the airflow from the fan is different in its placement on a Summit Pedestal than on a fireplace insert. The draft is so strong, that when starting the stove, I cannot leave the door open or the draft will actually blow out the fire when the temp out side is lower than about 15 degrees.

So I think its either the placement of the gauge that I am using, or the wood itself. AGAIN ITS NOT AN ISSUE for heat, I am plenty warm as it is and the stove is clearly burning well with lots of secondary flame.

tcassavaugh said:
While a good stove, it is in my opinion a little finniky and not my favorite stove that i've burned over time.

cass

In what way do you think its finnicky?

TheOnlyZarathu said:
BeGreen said:
Hogwildz said:

On my summit, there in just one lever for air intake. All the way open: which is listed as START, and then a range from "H" to "L" with L being the lowest air setting.

I think the airflow from the fan is different in its placement on a Summit Pedestal than on a fireplace insert. The draft is so strong, that when starting the stove, I cannot leave the door open or the draft will actually blow out the fire when the temp out side is lower than about 15 degrees.

So I think its either the placement of the gauge that I am using, or the wood itself. AGAIN ITS NOT AN ISSUE for heat, I am plenty warm as it is and the stove is clearly burning well with lots of secondary flame.

Got it, I had forgotten that the Summit's control is labeled. It's not on the Alderlea. It sounds like this may just be the location or accuracy of the instrumentation, though I never run the stove with the air control open except at startup of a fresh reload. Is that the same for you? For sure running the blower will cool the top of the insert. If you place the thermometer directly in front of the flue outlet, the airflow will be somewhat blocked on the Alderlea and I can get a bit higher reading with the blower on.

TheOnlyZarathu said:
tcassavaugh said:
While a good stove, it is in my opinion a little finniky and not my favorite stove that i've burned over time.

cass

At this point in time I agree with the finnicky comment also, it likes to be operated in a cetain way (talking about mine here) with the wood loaded a certain way and beginning to think it likes Green Ash more than any other wood. My Summit is not marked H or L, maybe just the ped. models.

oldspark said:
TheOnlyZarathu said:
tcassavaugh said:

cass

At this point in time I agree with the finnicky comment also, it likes to be operated in a cetain way (talking about mine here) with the wood loaded a certain way and beginning to think it likes Green Ash more than any other wood. My Summit is not marked H or L, maybe just the ped. models.

What other ways does the stove seem to like to be operated?

My manual states that the firewood has to be loaded wiith the logs front to back. This is apparently because the air flow is front to back. If I put a piece at the bottom in the front burning will slow down big time.

BeGreen said:
......... I never run the stove with the air control open except at startup of a fresh reload. Is that the same for you? For sure running the blower will cool the top of the insert. If you place the thermometer directly in front of the flue outlet, the airflow will be somewhat blocked on the Alderlea and I can get a bit higher reading with the blower on.

Yes.... I don't run it normally at anything other than between L and H except when starting with a fresh load, and sometime for about 30 seconds with the door slightly open. Again it depends on the outside air temps. When it gets down below 10 outside, opening the door will actually blow the fire out due to the draft suction, unless there is a good fire going. And once it gets at all mature in its burning it runs best at medium to low air intake.

I'll try putting a bit of an air barrier around the magnetic thermometer so that its NOT being affected by the strong breeze from the fan. Every stove is different, and I love this one compared to my old Riteway 37 which I burned for 32 years. In that stove, the draft was so intense that I couldn't even burn it if the wind got too strong or the temps got too low, unless I kept a very small amount of wood in the stove. otherwise it would "take off" and no matter what I did I couldn't bring it back to some kind of normal operating temperature. Running a stove with the chimney pipe cherry red is not a good thing.

My first stove burning experience was with an Ashley Columbia back in the early 70's. You judged the stove temp by the redness of the glowing stove sides. :snake:

TheOnlyZarathu said:
oldspark said:
TheOnlyZarathu said:
tcassavaugh said:

cass

My manual states that the firewood has to be loaded wiith the logs front to back. This is apparently because the air flow is front to back. If I put a piece at the bottom in the front burning will slow down big time.
If I want a quick hot fire I do the lincoln log style fire, criss cross the wood so plenty of air around the wood, keep the ashes to a min. level of 1 to 2 inch. When you criss cross make sure the bottom row is N/S with the second row E/W.

TheOnlyZarathu said:
oldspark said:
TheOnlyZarathu said:
tcassavaugh said:

cass

i have the pedistal model that has an "H" and "L" for the sliding draft control. for me, its certainly partial to dry wood. if its the slightest green or wet, it does not want to run unless its wide open throttle....and thats when i use the pipe damper. i run the wood north south, which was a change for me from other stoves. the controls seem to have to be just in the right place (you get used to it over time) or it runs too fast or runs too slow. it has a pretty long burn time, and thats why i bought it to replace my CDW Large CAT. bigger loads for sure.....but i'd shoot the guy that designed the ash box......i know, i know....most people don't use one but i've gotten spoiled by the CDW and Jotul ash bins.

cass

cass

oldspark said:
If I want a quick hot fire I do the lincoln log style fire, criss cross the wood so plenty of air around the wood, keep the ashes to a min. level of 1 to 2 inch. When you criss cross make sure the bottom row is N/S with the second row E/W.

yeah, that's what I do too. But I also split the wood pieces down to about 1.5 inches in diameter with my handy Simple Splitter.

tcassavaugh said:
.....but i'd shoot the guy that designed the ash box......i know, i know....most people don't use one but i've gotten spoiled by the CDW and Jotul ash bins.

cass

Actually..... I LOVE THE ASH BOX with the interior emptying on the Pedestal model. I just wait until the ash is burned down pretty far, and then I put on one of my super thick welding gloves, open the ash door, and push all the ash from the sides and the front into the hole. Then I spread the rest out over the whole inside. Only have to do it every three weeks though. I had to do it every four days for the old Riteway 37, and it had an ash drawer under the grates.

TheOnlyZarathu said:
tcassavaugh said:
.....but i'd shoot the guy that designed the ash box......i know, i know....most people don't use one but i've gotten spoiled by the CDW and Jotul ash bins.

cass

Actually..... I LOVE THE ASH BOX with the interior emptying on the Pedestal model. I just wait until the ash is burned down pretty far, and then I put on one of my super thick welding gloves, open the ash door, and push all the ash from the sides and the front into the hole. Then I spread the rest out over the whole inside. Only have to do it every three weeks though. I had to do it every four days for the old Riteway 37, and it had an ash drawer under the grates.

i've done that too, but its a pita. would just rather stir the ash around a bit and have it fall through the grate. just got the summit going for the first time this season as it was 55 downstairs, and the non-carpeted floors in the bath and kitchen (upstairs) were @ 58. i turned on the fan (auto) and it didn't come on. finally put it on manual. will try later when the fire box gets hotter.

cass

Ordering either a T5 or T6 right away. Do I need the fan if I have an open area home with 2 ceiling fans and good circulation? It sounds like the fan also influences the operation of the stove - and doesn't just circulate air in your home. Do I have this right?

I'd try it without the blower first, it's easy to retrofit if you need it. We ran a year and a half that way. I still only use the blower when I want to heat up quicker or on very cold days. Go for the T6, you will need and appreciate the extra capacity.

You are on track when you said the fan maybe influencing the mag temp gauge.
Buy a IR temp gun and compare the two.
Coil temp thermometers can be way off.
Temp guns can be off some..but not like the for-mentioned.

Ash Man. On second thought, it doesn't hurt to ask if your dealer will sweeten the deal by throwing a blower in.

Thanks BeGreen, T6 it is. Sitting on the fence is starting to hurt my butt! You've been very patient with me, and I appreciate it! I don't know what I would have done without this forum. I've spent so much time on this site that my wife and friends think I 'm obcessed with wood burning stoves - as if that is a bad thing!

Less than optimal wood will affect the temps. With 22 foot of stack, I can't see leaving the lever 1/2 way between H & L. I have 27' and my lever goes all the way to low. Just my set up and how it needs to be. Everyone is different.
When you say the door open causes the draft to blow the fire out? Do you mean suck it out or blow it out from a downdraft?

I love the blower. It moves the air in my living room/dining/kitchen area, and gets the air moving to upstairs. Makes the stove convective. I get heat right away. My previous stove had to really heat up the room before I could then use it to heat the house. And the fan is a really fine one.

Status
Not open for further replies.