PE super 27 operation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdk84

Feb 23, 2011
New England
I am noticing that on a refill if you adjust the primary air you get a wiff of wood smoke at the stove, then goes away. Door it shut and happens more when stove is heating up. Doesn't appear to be coming from the door gasket. This has only happened to me with the blower on. Any ideas?

Turn off the blower?

I've noticed on our stove that if the blower is going, it creates a slight negative pressure zone, right above the door. So now I turn it off beforehand if it is running. We only use the blower when it is very cold outside and then the draft is pretty strong, so this is a very minor issue for us.

Contacted my dealer today. Of course the first thing that was brought up was draft. Which i seem to have plenty as i dont get a faceful of smoke when the door is opened. I explained exactly what was happening. During a re-load, when the wood is burning at ist dirtiest, it seems if i touch the draft control at all i get the smell of wood smoke at the stove. At first i thought it was coming from the outside but always noticed it around the room the stove is in. This morning i verified that it is from the stove after babysitting it right after i adjusted the air control. Couldnt tell exactly where on the stove though. He told me that the blower would have no affect on producing the smell. I also told him that sometimes if the draft is left half open more than optimal time the "box" that the double wall pipe runs through the second floor and connects to a ICC metal chimney becomes hot enough that it would burn you instantly at contact. He seemed concerened and is going to have the install tech call me tomorrow. What luck i have! This whole set up is brand new.

the “box†that the double wall pipe runs through the second floor and connects to a ICC metal chimney

Is it possible for you to post a picture of this?

Here is a pic

igaoo2.jpg

It's possible that with that blower running, if the connection to the flue collar isn't sealed to the pipe, that venturi effect is pulling a whiff out of the connection before the draft is up to speed. I don't understand why you have the blower running until the stove is up to temp in the first place.

BrotherBart said:
It's possible that with that blower running, if the connection to the flue collar isn't sealed to the pipe, that venturi effect is pulling a whiff out of the connection before the draft is up to speed. I don't understand why you have the blower running until the stove is up to temp in the first place.

The stove is by all means not cold, around 250F stove top temp, the blower is on a very low setting and helps keep the house at a steady temp all the time. This morning it was re-loaded with a hot bed of coals, stove top temp 250ish and when i closed the air a little the double wall pipe was very hot to the touch so unless i have to get this thing cherry red to pull a good draft, im failing.

BrotherBart said:

+ 1. I had the same thought. It might just need some furnace cement at the stove flue connection.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong and so far I am not sure there is anything wrong with the piping other than the possible sealing of the flue collar. But it's good you are having the installer double-check. One thing to note is that there is a huge difference between a pipe that feels pretty hot (can't touch it with the hand for more than an instant) and one that would sear flesh if you touched it. If the pipe is very hot it may only be around 140ºF which feels very hot, but is well within expected temps.

BeGreen said:
BrotherBart said:

+ 1. I had the same thought. It might just need some furnace cement at the stove flue connection.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong and so far I am not sure there is anything wrong with the piping other than the possible sealing of the flue collar. But it's good you are having the installer double-check. One thing to note is that there is a huge difference between a pipe that feels pretty hot (can't touch it with the hand for more than an instant) and one that would sear flesh if you touched it. If the pipe is very hot it may only be around 140ºF which feels very hot, but is well within expected temps.

Thanks all for your knowledge.. just a green horn here and learn as i go! The stove pipe is hot enought as it would probably give you 2nd degree burns if you touched it for a second. Im not sure if thats considered sear flesh if you touched it or not. Maybe this is normal. Thats why i joined! The smell however seems weird. Both my brother and father operate the same way firing up the blower on low after a hot re-load and never have a problem.

The smoke smell might be unrelated to the temperature concerns. It would be helpful to have the installer come out with an IR thermometer and measure temps while the stove is running normal temps. Without some actual readings it's hard to say whether there is an issue or not.

I have checked up top when my stove was at 450 degrees and the pipe up top was only 215. That ain't gonna produce a strong draft lately. I have been up to check the cap and pipe for accumulation at 200-250 and draft is pretty much non-existent.

All I can tell ya is all I can tell ya.

OK, I just checked our double-wall Simpson. Probe reading 600ºF inside the pipe, surface reading right next to it was 213F. At the top of the pipe, just before the ceiling support box, 155F. Definitely hot enough to burn flesh at the probe point, which is 2 ft above the stove top. And definitely all in order and working fine. Ceiling support on the outside reads 130ºF which will be very hot to the touch, but won't burn you with a quick touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.