PE Super 27 parts question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
Maybe I shoulnd't have, but I did. I took apart my PE for the a good cleaning, and removed the baffle, side brick rails, etc... It has been several years since I've had the stove, so I figured a good thourough cleaning/tune up was an order. I will be replacing the side insulation and baffle gasket. My question is this - I noticed on the upper "lip" of the baffle (about a half inch piece of metal on the actual baffle that goes up towards the chimney past the flame shield), has a pretty good warp in it towards the middle. It does not seem to be affecting the integrity of the baffle, but should I be concerned for any reason? The baffle underside, (where the holes are) also has a slight bow to it, but from what I have gathered from this site, this is not uncommon for these stoves. As an aside, I should note the the baffle seems like a pretty heavy-duty piece. It was surprisinly heavy for what it is. It does not look like PE cheaped out at all here.
As well, are there any other parts I should consider replacing while I have it apart, or anything else to look for? Thanks.

Edit - I used some incorrect terminology. I was not referring to the flame shield, but rather the piece on top of the baffle that is heald on by two bent over tabs, in reference to the warped steel.

A bit of sag in the stainless cover should not affect burning. But if you have questions, take it in to your dealer for a looksee. It's under warranty.

Question #2 if I may. Does the primary air go up through those sdie channels sides and enter the stove through the top?

I don't have this stove but I believe the primary air is split between the airwash fed by the side channels and the boost manifold, down front and center. Hopefully Summit or Tom will chime in here if this is incorrect.

Hello again,
Now I'm worried. I have just notice two cracked welds on the stove at the top of the "channels" that run along verticall at the front of the stove on either side. How bad is this, and is there a way to repair it? Could I use a stove repair putty on the cracks? How will this affect the stove? Thanks.

Hard to say without seeing this. Pictures would help a lot here.

If you have a crack in those tubes go talk to your dealer. The least amount P.E. will do is pay to have those welds repaired. the best case senario is you will get a new stove body if teh damage is serious enough.

primary air is pretty much channeled thru the airwas on the PE stoves... the removable bottom front cover allows for the "fixed" air (on the summit, It's the EBT, on the supers it is a 5/16th or so fixed opening) to come in and spill across the coal bed. It'd make sure this area isn't full of packed ash while you are in there. If it's fixed opeings are plugged, it could potentially pull more draw thru the other air channels and cause some warps. The cracked weld issue isnt a biggie: contact your dealer or distributor, it can be fixed easilly, and under wtty, since it's a PE.... thats why you spend the long dollar on one vs an englander us stove, napleon, etc...

This definitely is sounding like a dealer call. Kudos to you for doing a thorough cleaning and finding this early.

Here are a few pics of the weld crack. They are on the primary air tube channels along the side of the stove, just behind the door. The cracks are at the weld up at the top at the cross piece for the airwash maybe(?). I have sent these pics to the PE dealer where I purchased the stove. The crack is in the middle of the pic, just right of centre. The crack is present on both sides.

Attachments

• weld_crack2[2].jpg
    weld_crack2[2].jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 616
  • weld_crack1[2].jpg
    weld_crack1[2].jpg
    23 KB · Views: 623
BeGreen said:
So far that looks like an easy repair. How long would you estimate the weld crack is?

Only one picture posted. If you want to post additional ones you can use the Edit button on your post and add another picture.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18669/

The crack might be two inches. I have added another picture. The first one is on the hinge side, the second from the latch side.
How would you go about repairingit? Weld it, or would high temp. furnace putty be sufficient? I assume the PE dealer may be reluctant to warranty it due to the fact it is 4/5 years old (fair enough). What may have caused it? I don't recall any excessively hot fires that caused me to think the stove may have been damaged. It shows no other signs of an over-fired stove. I've had a few hot ones, but nothing outrageous.

As long as there is no signs of abuse, the firebox and baffle are under the limited lifetime warranty. Let PE authorize a dealer inspection to determine the fix.

The only correct repair is to grind the existing weld down and reweld. Nothing else will last because as the stove heats up it moves slightly, usally sound like pinging. I would also take a really close look at the top from the inside where it's welded to the side and make sure there isn't a crack or missing weld somewhere else. A missing weld only 2 inches long is what caused the damage in my first P.E. stove

Other Pacific Energy stoves have experienced similar issues, including my Pacific insert:

-https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58621/
-https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42141/

It seems that the stoves from that vintage had welding issues or we just are really thorough checking our stoves. I haven't heard of any new PEs experiencing cracked welds yet.

I will have to clean my chimney soon to see how my firebox faired with cracking repair welds. I was able to get PE to extend my comprehensive warranty to September of this year because I was not sure how well the repaired welds would hold. As I suspected, there was visual evidence after one burn season (2009-2010) that the repairs were starting to crack. I will have to see how they are now and make a warranty claim via the distributor if necessary. I tried to get a hold of PE last year in regard to cracked repair welds, but their Service Manager never answered any of my calls or returned my voice mails.

Sisu said:
Other Pacific Energy stoves have experienced similar issues, including my Pacific insert:

-https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58621/
-https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42141/

It seems that the stoves from that vintage had welding issues or we just are really thorough checking our stoves. I haven't heard of any new PEs experiencing cracked welds yet.

I will have to clean my chimney soon to see how my firebox faired with cracking repair welds. I was able to get PE to extend my comprehensive warranty to September of this year because I was not sure how well the repaired welds would hold. As I suspected, there was visual evidence after one burn season (2009-2010) that the repairs were starting to crack. I will have to see how they are now and make a warranty claim via the distributor if necessary. I tried to get a hold of PE last year in regard to cracked repair welds, but their Service Manager never answered any of my calls or returned my voice mails.

Wow. At least I'm not the only one. My welds are cracked in the very same places as some of the ones in the thread you referenced. I have sent a few pictures to the PE dealer, as well as an E-mail to PE themselves, but have heard nothing back as of yet. I don't think they are a huge concern just yet with regards to performance of the stove, but don't want them to spread any more either. You spend a bit more for a PE, you shouldn't really have to worry at all about this - otherwise, why not just buy the cheaper stove.
Back to the weld - It does seem like a welding quality issue to me. On my stove, it is the actual weld that is split. I suppose I'll give the dealer/PE a few days to get back to me, and take it from there. Thanks for the info Sisu.

summit said:
contact your dealer or distributor, it can be fixed easilly, and under wtty, since it's a PE.... thats why you spend the long dollar on one vs an englander us stove, napleon, etc...

I agree that PE should make it right. One thing that is troubling to me is reading some of the posts for the PE stoves (and a few others I'm sure) is trying to get someone at the factory to answer - let alone return a phone call or e-mail. PE should be all over this. I realize the dealer ought to jump in and take care of it, but sometimes that doesn't happen.

As low cost as the Englander stoves are, they do have a direct line to factory support. I like the PE stoves, I'd like to buy one - especially the Alderlea models, but I keep reading and looking at the Englander stove posts and find that though low cost, they are very high quality and have pretty good factory customer support and in some ways reminds me of Woodstock's customer service in that regard.

Thanks,
Bill

Have you called the dealer to speak to someone in person?

Status
Not open for further replies.