PE Super 27 Secondary Burn (Video)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
Took this video of my Super 27 one night with secondary burn pouring down from the back of the baffle like lava. I get this often but it seemed a little more intense this time. Does anyone else get secondary burn like this? This was a little over 3 hours into the burn on a full load of red oak.

That's neat, never had them quite like that in my summit.

I get secondary going good enough at times they near burn a hole Down through the wood. Good burn going on the vid, nice wood and nice stove.

Sweeeeeet... I don't get anything like that but I'm just starting to figure out my cat stove under less than ideal conditions. Wood not dry enough, no liner in chimney etc.

I've gotten some very impressive secondaries but nothing that looks like yours. That's just angry looking :)

Hey Skin --I have a PE T5 and get the same thing -- seemed weird at first (thought maybe something wrong with rear of baffle)-- has happened a few times now just the dynamics in the box I guess . Every load is a different show!

woodywilson said:
Hey Skin --I have a PE T5 and get the same thing -- seemed weird at first (thought maybe something wrong with rear of baffle)-- has happened a few times now just the dynamics in the box I guess . Every load is a different show!
Yep, I have some 12% ash that goes crazy on me, fills up the entire fire box with flames.

Yes, that is normal. I know on my Summit, the baffle has secondary burn holes in that channel in the back of the baffle. Can't see them without looking into the baffle through the rear channel hole.

The middle secondarys cut right through the wood in the middle of the stove on mine all the time. I usually try to put my biggest piece right in the middle to take the blast. I don't remember how I loaded the stove that night in the video but I think I may have had a smaller piece in the middle that got burned up pretty fast leaving an opening there for the flames to shoot down like they did. You can't see it in the video very well but there were secondarys coming down from the middle row towards the front of the stove.

wow, thats cool. i have a summit. while i get good secondaries, they are more of a rolling boil than a flame thrower.

cass

Man, that is cool as SHIrT. I've gotten some good light shows from my Quad 4300, but nothing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.