PE T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I've decided to supplement my wood boiler with a stove in the great room. This room has its own heat zone (baseboard hot water) and never stops calling for heat the entire season. I'm hoping to get an extra day between boiler fires by adding a stove in the LARGE fireplace. I'm ordering the PE T5 this week but was wondering if I should go with the T6 instead since it's the only one that has the EBT. Does the EBT make a big difference or is it just bells and whistles? Also can the T6 be stoked back enough so we won't be to warm in the greatroom? The room is over 500 sg ft (14' ceiling) and is open to the almost 500 sg ft kitchen (8' ceiling) with no walls separating the two. The rest of the first floor is an open layout except for the double french doors to my office. First floor total square ft is 2200. 2nd floor bedrooms total 1300. The boiler does a great job keeping the rest of the house warm but that greatroom can be a little chilly in the early mornings of January.
thanks for any input.

Do a search here for "EBT" and you will find a lot of info about it.

Either stove should work ok, but given the layout and large size of the home the T6 would probably work better. With the high ceilings there is a lot of cubic footage to be heated and it sounds like the heat loss of the great room is significant. Do you run a ceiling fan(s) (reversed in winter) in this area? The T6 gets long burntimes and more btus from it's bigger belly, but I have not found the EBT to extend the burn time. But that is just my personal experience. One thing to consider if the heat loss is due to a large amount of windows is to look into some sort of insulated shades for nighttime.

If the stove is going to be recessed into the fireplace, and by your description of the house I would go larger with the T6. And consider adding a blower to either unit, especially if you go with the smaller T5. I do not feel that you would feel overheated by the description of the room/home with the T6. Ours in in the kitchen and the nature of the heat put out by the convection is not overbearing (overburning). Signature link has some pics of the stove and rooms...

BG the room has no shades and lots of glass. we're in the country and love the views so never considered shades. I'll check into that, thanks.
And yes we have a ceiling fan in the room that is used in the winter in reverse.

Mad, I use a wood boiler for primary heat so the PE would be mainly used to heat about 1000 sq ft and should give more time between burns in the boiler.
My concern is that the T6 would put out more heat than needed?? My MO is to always get more than I really need anyway. The beast in the basement has 3050 gal of water storage!
So if the T6 can be muffled down a bit without issues, it's the one for me.

BTW, the unit will be installed by a pro with an insulated flex pipe, block plate, cap, OAK, and blower ($2900.00 total cost if T5)

I think you could make either stove work. If you have a lot of heat loss and the extra dough I would spring for the T6. If you do decide on the T5 I would definitely add on the blower. In terms of burn time I think they would both be pretty good.

To give you an idea. I heat my 1400 sq ft tri level with the stove on the middle floor here in Colorado with my T5 without a blower burning strictly lodge pole pine. Keep in mind I had a home efficiency audit done and have sealed the house up tight. It does a good job once I found an efficient way to move heat to the farthest bedroom via fan.

Alderlea's are great stoves and I don't think you will be disapointed.

thanks guys,
I've researched a bit more here and decided on the T6.
Hearth.com really is the best place on earth. Thanks again.
and have a great evening...

EForest said:
BG the room has no shades and lots of glass. we're in the country and love the views so never considered shades. I'll check into that, thanks.
And yes we have a ceiling fan in the room that is used in the winter in reverse.

Mad, I use a wood boiler for primary heat so the PE would be mainly used to heat about 1000 sq ft and should give more time between burns in the boiler.
My concern is that the T6 would put out more heat than needed?? My MO is to always get more than I really need anyway. The beast in the basement has 3050 gal of water storage!
So if the T6 can be muffled down a bit without issues, it's the one for me.

BTW, the unit will be installed by a pro with an insulated flex pipe, block plate, cap, OAK, and blower ($2900.00 total cost if T5)

For sure insist on a damper seal - lower, block-off plate too. Otherwise a lot of the heat is just going to heat the mass of the chimney. This is mostly a convection stove that will want to be out in the room as much as possible. Or, plan on using the blower full time. If that's the case, the good news is that it has a pretty quiet blower except when on full speed.

It might be worthwhile sitting down and calculating the heat loss of all that glass. It may really surprise you. That could be half of your heat loss. Even thermopane is a measly R=2. There are several different shade options depending on the decor. Some covering options are: a double-cell honeycombed shade like the Hunter Duette, Comfortex Fusion Insulating Roman Panels, or Window Quilts (R=5.88). Some of these systems can be motorized if the windows are large. Head to the Green Room forum here for more threads on this topic.

http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products-detail.jsp?id=6
http://www.comfortex.com/insulating_roman_panel_shade_details.html
http://www.windowquilt.com/products/full_broch.htm

Thanks BeGreen,
the window quilt looks great. I'm getting the damper seal and block off plate. The installer is charging me no extra for the T6 since I hooked him up wih two other wood burners in need of upgrades.

EF,

Post some pictures after it gets (or as it is getting) completed, it must be a massive fireplace and hearth to accept the T6. Looking forward to seeing the install.

Also, the 3 prong cord for the blower is ~ 6-8 ft long and exits where the control switch and rheostat are located on the right rear of the blower/stove assy.

It's finally here! This stove is fantastic. Bring on the cold.
here it is, sorry about my lack of camera finesse.

Beautiful stove and hearth. Enjoy!

BrotherBart said:

thanks brotherbart, i've enjoyed it every day so far (4) and expect it to keep my family warm for many years..........
the kids and inlaws/friends were all here for the turkey and everyone enjoyed the heat.

EForest said:
BrotherBart said:

thanks brotherbart, i've enjoyed it every day so far (4) and expect it to keep my family warm for many years..........
the kids and inlaws/friends were all here for the turkey and everyone enjoyed the heat.

The setup looks so nice that I hated when you turned out the lights.

Sweet! Totally first class. Makes our install look plain Jane.

Nice setup, Forest!! Enjoy that baby!

Seems to be a great price you got on everything, too!

Here's a link to an older thread that discusses topics around the Alderleas re: thermometer placement, operation (air adjustments), and even potatoe recipes!! I have it saved to my toolbar and refer to it, when I seem to lose my way!! Enjoy and congrats on the new stove!!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47446/#522211

BeGreen said:
Sweet! Totally first class. Makes our install look plain Jane.
thanks BG
nothing special about the install. we just stuffed the T6 into an existing fireplace. she sure does look pretty there though :kiss:

raiderfan said:
Nice setup, Forest!! Enjoy that baby!

Seems to be a great price you got on everything, too!

Here's a link to an older thread that discusses topics around the Alderleas re: thermometer placement, operation (air adjustments), and even potatoe recipes!! I have it saved to my toolbar and refer to it, when I seem to lose my way!! Enjoy and congrats on the new stove!!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47446/#522211

thanks for the tip raiderfan.
i moved the thermometer to below the trivet and it reads the same as stack.

Cool video of a beautiful hearth. Curious if you opted for the blower? I couldn't see the cord...

Took some pics of some pretty weird secondaries coming up the stove window from the manifold boost, the still pics sorta capture it....

Attachments

• PB270004.jpg
    PB270004.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 231
  • PB270005.jpg
    PB270005.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 247
  • PB270002.jpg
    PB270002.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 238
Very nice install on the T6!

I sometimes get the same flames coming from the boost manifold on my Super 27, usually when the stove is running a little on the hotter side. Hasn't seemed to bother anything.

madison said:
Cool video of a beautiful hearth. Curious if you opted for the blower? I couldn't see the cord...

Took some pics of some pretty weird secondaries coming up the stove window from the manifold boost, the still pics sorta capture it....

Yes I've got a blower and an OAK. I run the blower I little below high in auto mode. The fan is a little noisy when the TV is off and the kids are sleeping. There been a constant fire or bed of coals since the install last Wednesday. I used a quarter of one of the sample SuperCedars Tom sent for the first fire. Those things are great but I'm not sure I'll need another quarter of one till beginning of next heating season. Unless we take a weekend trip someplace and the coals are gone!

Beautiful install - very nice stove and the T6 compared to your fireplace/hearth just the right size.

Enjoy!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.