PE T6 -vs- Jotul F55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingdoc

Feb 23, 2015
Otsego county NY
My wife and I are installing our first wood stove and are torn between these two stoves. We decided against pellets because our semi rural area is prone to power outages. were trying to heat our old drafty 2800 Sq ft 2 floor house located in central NY. (January average temp about 19 degrees) We are sold on these stoves because there steel on iron construction and large fireboxes. Were trying to crank out the maximum BTUs.

I like the T6 for all the tech it uses with the EBT and ash pan and butterfly wing warmers and so on but I like the F55 for the exact opposite reason. If some optional part goes bad and messes up my stove in the middle of winter I'm gonna be a meat popsicle before replacement parts arrive. The F55 is a simple sturdy stove and from what I understand it's more forgiving to wood burning newbies like me.

Both stoves seem to have loyal fans and both Companies seem to have a good reputation. Also with this being a new install i'll need chimney and a hearth pad and so on and both complete estimates are around the same price (about 6800$ from 2 different locations in my area)

So what would you chose and why? Is there someone with experience with both models? Am I missing something maybe?

Both stoves are very simple with almost nothing to fail. Even if the EBT hung open the stove would continue to operate fine. It would just run like 99% of other secondary stoves. Both stoves are good heaters. I like the flexible trivet design of the T6 and baffle design. It's very easy to clean. I like the fit and finish of the F55 more though, particularly the door latch design. The T6 seems to have a bit more mass. None of this is a deal breaker. Get the one you like the best.

$6800 is a very stiff estimate. I would have expected around $4500 for an average installation. Is this a complicated install?

The build quality of the Jotuls are the best I have seen of any stove manufacturer. Simply superb.

However, you're reasoning is flawed, in terms of repair. If something breaks on the Jotul, you could be shut down most of the winter, while the ship the replacement part from Norway. I have had this happen to me, with my Jotuls. I suspect that is not going to happen with PE, being in British Columbia.

$6800 is a very stiff estimate. I would have expected around $4500 for an average installation. Is this a complicated install?
Not at all. out the wall and up 18 feet too a 15 degree bend to get around the roof line then up another 5 feet.
T6, 3000$
6 pieces double wall stainless insulates 950$
thru-wall kit 800$
HF2614B 94$
HF2606B 53$
labor 700$
hearth pad 400$
That is 5997$ without tax and the 15 degree bend because he never asked and i forgot to mention it.

[edit] I did get a second quote from another place for a stove I don't want just as a cross reference.
stove (osburn 2400) 2200$
chimney system 2250$
labor 500$
tax 396
hearth pad 450$
Thats 5796$ for a steel box stove.

Last edited:
However, you're reasoning is flawed, in terms of repair. If something breaks on the Jotul, you could be shut down most of the winter, while the ship the replacement part from Norway. I have had this happen to me, with my Jotuls. I suspect that is not going to happen with PE, being in British Columbia.
Jotuls are now made in America (Maine). [edit] I just checked for fits and giggles. I could drive to there plant and drive back in less than 12 hours.

Jotuls are now made in America (Maine). [edit] I just checked for fits and giggles. I could drive to there plant and drive back in less than 12 hours.
Then I take back my comment about build quality. ;lol

My Jotuls were all made in Norway, but they're an older model.

This January Jotul North America started assembling all of the stoves for the U.S. market in Gorham, Maine. The castings are flat pack shipped from Norway and assembled in Maine.

The build quality of the Jotuls are the best I have seen of any stove manufacturer. Simply superb.

I think the steel body stoves like the F55, F50 and F45 are designed and built in Maine.

Both stoves are very simple with almost nothing to fail. Even if the EBT hung open the stove would continue to operate fine. It would just run like 99% of other secondary stoves. Both stoves are good heaters. I like the flexible trivet design of the T6 and baffle design. It's very easy to clean. I like the fit and finish of the F55 more though, particularly the door latch design. The T6 seems to have a bit more mass. None of this is a deal breaker.

This is what sold me on our f55. The door latch is so solid and positive feeling it gave me a lot of confidence in the quality of the stove. With good seasoned hardwood like you have in New York, it should heat your house fine. It will use more wood than a cat stove though and I would try and cut your wood around 17-18" to maximize the space in the Firebox.

Not at all. out the wall and up 18 feet too a 15 degree bend to get around the roof line then up another 5 feet.
T6, 3000$
6 pieces double wall stainless insulates 950$
thru-wall kit 800$
HF2614B 94$
HF2606B 53$
labor 700$
hearth pad 400$
That is 5997$ without tax and the 15 degree bend because he never asked and i forgot to mention it.

[edit] I did get a second quote from another place for a stove I don't want just as a cross reference.
stove (osburn 2400) 2200$
chimney system 2250$
labor 500$
tax 396
hearth pad 450$
Thats 5796$ for a steel box stove.
Got it, 2 story exterior chimney with offset at retail. I was thinking one story interior chimney.

This is what sold me on our f55. The door latch is so solid and positive feeling it gave me a lot of confidence in the quality of the stove.
7 years with the T6 has boosted my confidence as well. Though this summer I will be adjusting the door for the first time.

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with either make or model ...,unless you burn green wood.

Reactions: huauqui
Status
Not open for further replies.