PE Vista Insert--Newbie Mistake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredarm

Minister of Fire
Aug 28, 2008
Eastern Mass
Well, it got pretty chilly in SE Mass. this evening, so I decided to do the third burn in my new Vista Insert. I had done a very small first burn (one small Duraflame log at the suggestion of the installer) and a medium second burn (one Smartlog and a couple of splits) over the past week. So tonight I put in 3 Smartlogs and a firestarter (was feeling too lazy to deal with kindling and such after work). After about a half hour I had a small fire going, but not much was happening, even with the draft wide open, and the Smartlogs were beginning to curl. I added a fourth Smartlog and took the dog out for a short walk (10 minutes tops). When I came back I had a roaring fire! I shut the draft all the way down, but for the next hour had a vigorous fire with dancing flames (the famous secondary burn?) and the stove was really cranking out the heat. It was also cranking out the smell of hot metal and was making occasional metallic noises. I suspect that the fourth Smartlog was too much fuel. The fire has been dying down but a couple hours laterI i still have red hot coals and some flame.

My question is, did I overdo it for a third burn? I hope I didn't warp or damage the stove.

The break-in burns are mainly to cure the paint. I don't think you could have damaged the stove unless you overfired it (glowing red).
The ticking noise was just the metal expanding and is typical with steel stoves. I have no experience with burning smartlogs but I heard '
those compressed logs contain alot of btu's so "maybe" four is too much fuel.

Your doing just fine, put some real wood in that thing, and stop filling it with that garbage.

Yup, the wood will be certainly cheaper, if not free. Besides having no additional fuel products added.

Don't worry and just chalk it up to experience. Enjoy your new "wood burning" insert.

Don't worry about overfiring the Vista - it is a tough little stove. When the weather is really cold and windy, I burn mine full bore and as long as the blower is on relatively high you will never see it turn 'glowing red'. It puts out a lot of heat for it's size. It keeps our 1350 sq. ft. cape-style house nice and warm all winter.

Thanks guys. I was concerned that it might be too much for a third burn. It wasn't glowing red (at least not that I could see). Those Smartlogs do contain a lot of BTU's--they are not very big, but when they catch, they really burn! I have "real" wood--2 to 3 year old standing dead oak that I cut and split a few weeks ago, but I think it needs more seasoning. I have a moisture meter on order and will check the wood when it arrives. I bought a box of the Smartlogs and a couple of packages of Bio-Bricks to try them out as a supplement to the oak. I'm going to order a ton of Bio-Bricks or Envi-Blocks (whichever I can get) because I can stack them in the garage and they are already "seasoned". Next year I'll get going on the wood earlier. I'm concerned that any wood I buy now won't be fully seasoned and ready to burn right away. My only experience with wood burning, other than the fireplace, was an orignial VC Defiant in my parents' ski condo 25 years ago. That thing would burn just about anything you thre in it! By the way this forum is a great resource and I've learned a lot just from reading the posts.

I have a Vista insert too. The first year it made all kinds of pinging noises as it warmed up from a fire. The first 5 or so burns it also put out that curing smell. The second year it didn't make much noise at all. I have a big house but that little insert sure keeps the downstairs warm. I've been burning for 3 days now. Nights are close to freezing and the days are pretty cool and windy.

If this will teach you something, it is that you NEVER walk away from a loaded stove that has the air open (or the ash door - even worse). It is so easy to be distracted and forget that you need to pay attention. Doing this kind of thing CAN damage your stove and if there are any weak links in the install it can burn your house down.

Stoves installed to recommendations SHOULD be safe in an overfire condition, since that is how the stoves are tested for UL certification, BUT lets just say that during the install some sawdust or cellulose insulation fell into a spot where they shouldn't be (like in the attic radiation shield or ceiling support box). During an overfire situation, it is possible that these materials may char and could catch fire.

So walking away from a loaded stove with maxed out air is like being a test pilot. Bear in mind that for the sake of UL certification it is imperative that nearby combustibles not get too hot, survival /lack of damage of the stove is not a requirement.

Be safe.

Thanks, lesson learned. I'm having another (smaller) fire today and the stove is doing fine. Not much smell, either. I took a quick look in the firebox and nothing seems to be warped or damaged. The insert is installed in a brick fireplace with exterior chimney, with a full liner to the top. It doesn't go through the attic. My concern was not so much an overfire condition as too much burn for the third fire

fredarm said:
Thanks guys. I was concerned that it might be too much for a third burn. It wasn't glowing red (at least not that I could see). Those Smartlogs do contain a lot of BTU's--they are not very big, but when they catch, they really burn! I have "real" wood--2 to 3 year old standing dead oak that I cut and split a few weeks ago, but I think it needs more seasoning. I have a moisture meter on order and will check the wood when it arrives. I bought a box of the Smartlogs and a couple of packages of Bio-Bricks to try them out as a supplement to the oak. I'm going to order a ton of Bio-Bricks or Envi-Blocks (whichever I can get) because I can stack them in the garage and they are already "seasoned". Next year I'll get going on the wood earlier. I'm concerned that any wood I buy now won't be fully seasoned and ready to burn right away. My only experience with wood burning, other than the fireplace, was an orignial VC Defiant in my parents' ski condo 25 years ago. That thing would burn just about anything you thre in it! By the way this forum is a great resource and I've learned a lot just from reading the posts.

I know I go by the rule of thumb my dad taught me - "You never burn wood the same year you split it".

Status
Not open for further replies.