Pea or Nut...that is the question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbm50

Dec 30, 2005
I'm searching for some input from other Hand-fired coal stove users. I've been in a new house for about year and used PEA sized coal for my Harman Mark II which worked well.

Now I'm getting ready for a new heating season and I'm wondering what size coal is better PEA or NUT? Does one burn longer, hotter or produce more ash? My stove says it works with both and Harman deal said "they both work fine" but it seems like there has to be a difference.

Does anybody have experience with both that would care to share your thoughts?

Thanks - Matt

Most of the Mark III units weve sold are nut coal burners.....Im sure pea will work as well, although I dont know a whole lot of folks burning pea coal in them. Obviously, pea vs nut....same btu's / lb.....possibly only advantage being the nut may burn longer, but be a bit harder to light.

I have a Harman tlc 2000 woodcoal stove, I've found the nut coal to burn much better, the pea coal didn't seem to burn as hot. I think with the small size the ashes restrict airflow more and keep the fire burning slower. True nut coal is a little harder to get going, but not much..I would definately go with nut coal you won't be dissapointed..

my opinion the bigger the coal the longer burns time u can get.Used nut in my old handifired efel and if i loaded it up at 10pm when i got up at 5 or 6am the fire was just about out and very little heat from the stove.Started throwing stove coal on for over night burns it would last almost 12 hours and was still producing a fair amount of heat.

Pea coal burns in my TLC2000 for over 14hrs on a load every day. From what I heard, stove coal would be hotter and burn longer. I will try some but would probably stay with pea since it works. My burn times are fine for me and in my setup, pea makes the house a perfect temp. If I get a hotter burn with nut, I will be toasted out of the family room. (Although that will chase me from the computer more.)

I've got a TLC-2000 (new this year), and a couple tons of Blaschak nut. While on vacation last week in Rhode Island, I stopped by a coal dealer and picked up a bag of pea (also Blaschak) to see how it worked. Nut makes it *very* warm in here .. with the control turned all the way down it's still too hot for clothes. Pea burned much slower and longer, and seemed to shake down more evenly as well.

I'm thinking I could probably get good results from a mix of nut and pea. Anyone in northern VA wanna buy some nut (or sell some pea)?

i know in northeast pa u can get what they call range coal which is a mixture of nut and pea

Status
Not open for further replies.