Pecan, Oaks and Azelas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillyGator

Feb 20, 2009
NorthFlorida
Water Oaks from my brothers house...3 medium 2 small....about 2.5 cords...this will be ready by Christmas
Pecan is from friends orchard...240 acres ...this is older wood that I picked through..got about 2/3 cord this will start 2011-2012
Lots of new limbs just cut down...20'-30' long 8"-12" dia laid out by the burn pile just begging to get cut & splitthink I can get several cords out the next few weeks
This Azela in my yard that is alwasy the first to bloom....started right at the end of February..has gone through a couple 30* ngihts ....its TUFF!

ps: low 60's light breeze today :coolsmile:

Attachments

• SSPX0277.jpg
    SSPX0277.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 232
  • SSPX0289.jpg
    SSPX0289.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 226
  • SSPX0291.jpg
    SSPX0291.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 224
  • SSPX0292.jpg
    SSPX0292.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 224
  • SSPX0288.jpg
    SSPX0288.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 208
Excellent! You have some nice looking stacks too. Good to see the Azalea blooming. It will be awhile yet before they bloom here.

Nice score!

Looks like you are peeing on the log in the first pic :lol:

Peter, that is just because the wood was too dry to burn.

Good work ChillyGator. I've always wondered what water oak was like for burning. Does it season really slow like red oak? That pecan should also be great firewood.

LOL....that's my father (72 years old) cutting away with the old Poulan ....he prefers to cut and leave the lifting to me.

The water oak is my prefered firewood source.....drys faster than Red Oak and splits very easy when green. I like em about 12"-18" diameter which is small enough to handle by myself and they have very few limbs. The Pecan should make great firewood, I cut another 1/2 cord yesterday just working in the morning. Free wood already on the ground and laid out for cutting...hard to beat that deal.

Looks like spring is here this week, I think we are now going to be out of the 30's at night for good with most days in the upper 60's lower 70's. This will be 2 of the nicest weeks of the year until summer comes ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.