Pedestal or legs? Which do you prefer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Al

Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
Ok, so I've read a few posts here where Brother Bart bashes pedastels on wood stoves...."A stove should be on legs as God intended...." I, for one, totally agree. I couldn't unbolt the "stately pedastel" from my stove fast enough. As soon I got the stove in the house I flipped it on it's side and the wrenches went to work, the legs went on, and the pedastel went to the scrap heap. Next time you see my pedastel it'll be a Craftsman wrench or a Toyota. Ok maybe not a Toyota ; ) So what about the rest of you? Pedastel or Legs??

I went with the legs. I like the look of the legs better and the pedestal came with a dreaded ashpan . No ashpan on the stove with legs.

Legs for sure. Who wants to take home a mermaid?

My 30 is on the pedestal. It is a basement install on cheap Home Depot ceramic tile with cheap paneled (but insulated) walls.
Nothing special in my basement to look at anyway. If it was on legs the dog would probably be under it instead of right next to it.

Warm in RI said:
Ok, so I've read a few posts here where Brother Bart bashes pedastels on wood stoves...."A stove should be on legs as God intended...." I, for one, totally agree. I couldn't unbolt the "stately pedastel" from my stove fast enough. As soon I got the stove in the house I flipped it on it's side and the wrenches went to work, the legs went on, and the pedastel went to the scrap heap. Next time you see my pedastel it'll be a Craftsman wrench or a Toyota. Ok maybe not a Toyota ; ) So what about the rest of you? Pedastel or Legs??

I'm a leg man.

I also believe a stove should be on legs.

Legs here, but..............if the dog is going to camp out under the stove.....I can accept the pedestal.

The very first thing I did before I started shopping for a woodstove was to learn to spell pedestal correctly. I practiced over and over again. Made up a little flash card and had my wife drill me on it. When I was sure I had that down pat, I went out and bought two stoves...a big Lopi Liberty for the house on legs (very pretty), and a little CFM stove for the workshop on a pedestal (no leg option available). I prefer the look of a stove on legs. The CFM pedestal has an ash drawer in it that I find totally useless. I've learned to love them both for what they do...the Lopi's prettier, but the little CFM does its job quite well. They both keep me warm. I think the Lopi would look pretty dorky on a pedestal, but the shop stove looks just right to me now after a few years. Rick

I'm a leg man.[/quote]

+1

Legs for sure. Plus it's easier to level a stove on legs with an uneven surface under it like stone or odd thickness 4*4 cobblestone which I have.

My wife has phenomenal legs. I could care less what is under the steel box that keeps the house warm. It would be nice if they did something more useful than put an ash pan it.

On my new stove (hopefully soon) it'll have legs. I can imagine it would be a PITA to get a pedestal leveled without it twiking. I'm also kinda concerned on how much heat will build up in there in that closed box.

I've got a pedestal but would prefer legs. Would also prefer the nickel door. Would also prefer no ash drawer.

However, that's like complaining about your wife after being married.

Doing so does no man any good now!

In other words, do whatever it takes to be happy in your choice now, then stick with it come hell or high water later. Do not compromise now or you be unhappy and lose your ass! (see how the wife scenario fits in :) )

pen

Definitely a leg man myself. I was talking to Tom at chimneyseeponline and he said that the leg/pedestal thing varies by region of the country.

Pedistal for me. Mermaid???????????? Funny.

So, out of all these leggers out there, how many of them are running an oak? that would be the benny to a pedas er.... pedestal. hide the underside/behind the stove. for me, im a legger myself.

Legs, but I'm thinking of suspending it from the ceiling with aircraft cable.

Battenkiller said:
I'm a leg man regarding the stove, but I tend to put my wife up on a pedestal.

Smart man! :lol:

"Leg People" reside here.

Shari

Someone's got to say it. I like the pedestal look.
But, mine's on legs.

I think what Brother Bart thinks and would NOT buy a pedestal stove under any circumstances.

I have my Englander 30 at the bottom of my basement stairs.
I took the pedestal off and put the legs on and it appears to me that I get better air circulation with the legs.

Warm In Rhode Island: I'm out there frequently, (went to college there, have family there......the wife and I hang out there a LOT........especially at Beaver Tail, and Jamestown in general), and I know YOU folks can use a good wood stove!!

Legs......I'm a leg man.........Pedestal stoves just look like a TV Stand to me. I dunno......I think Pedestals are ugly.....sorry folks!

-Soupy1957

Pedestal here. I like the ash drawer right there to cleanly dump som hot ashes to without them floating all over..........

Status
Not open for further replies.