Pedestal stove with slate tile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmboy05

Jan 31, 2014
North Central Iowa
My wife and I are going with a Drolet Escape 1800 stove which is a pedestal style stove. We're going to do a corner install. The manufacturer states that only a noncombustible surface is needed under it, no specific R-rating material with how the stove is designed. We're planning on doing cement bored with tile. My wife wants to use slate. I like it but I'm worried about the unevenness of slate with a pedestal stove. Do any of you have experiences/input on this? The slate we're looking at is 16X16" and the pedestal is 22X17.

It will be fine. As with any stove on any hearth, you may need to shim to prevent rocking. Smoother and flatter makes this easier.

Coins work well.. took about $1.10 to level my sisters Jotul on her flagstone hearth. ;)

Reactions: WiscWoody
Thank you!

Part of allowing me to have a wood stove installed, I had to let her have free say on the tile. ;lol I just wanted to make sure that we weren't going to spend for slate and have it not work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.