Peerless boiler with bad tankless coil, advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh ya - Geothermal stuff is definitely $$.

There are Geothermal heat pumps, air source heat pumps ('conventional ducted' and 'mini-split ductless'), and heat pump water heaters. All different. So just make sure you & the HVAC guy are talking about the same thing.

I left him a message and I will ask him about hot water heat pumps. Do you know of a good video or place I can read or watch about them?

'hot water heat pumps' - that might imply to someone Geothermal. Heats your house from groundwater or ground heat.

Make sure to straighten out what you are really looking for, and what you're asking.

Just heating for domestic hot water would be 'heat pump water heater'.

Easy to go astray in a conversation with some words moved around just a bit.

Search 'geospring' on here, particularly in the Green Room section, for HPWH info.

Reactions: 08specB
After looking at some reviews online maple1 i am not so sure/sold on this unit. It appears that people have alot of issues with it throwing error codes and breaking. On top of that the GE tech's are the only ones that can work on and fix the unit if it does end up breaking. If I bypass my tankless coil the boiler would not be used at all and I fear by not using it at all it will cause issues and potentially break. Considering the cost of electricity here in CT I am also not too keen on going with an regular hot water heater due to the cost and that I would need to move my large safe.

I guess I am just confused with what way would be best for my situation. It was quoted $1,080 to replace the tankless coil in my boiler and another $185 to fix the busted mixing valve and just over $3k to switch over to a indirect system (which is way out of my budget).

The Lowe's reviews on the GE unit are good however the other reviews online are terrible along with Amazon. I am just unsure at this point.

You need to do more reading, I think.

There were also earlier versions of the Geospring that I believe did have issues. If you're still worried about a HPWH, an ordinary electric hot water heater would still be way less expensive to operate than oil. My 2 year old 80 gallon one is less than $30/mo for a family of 5, at $0.18/kwh.

And if the boiler really would not be used at all if the coil was bypassed, I would send that boiler and my oil tank down the road so fast it wouldn't know what happened, kiss the oil man goodbye, and not look back. Well, maybe not the kiss, but maybe at least a wave.

You might even be able to sell it to help recover some of the costs. But I would want some kind of backup heat.

Keep researching.

Get the geo spring. If you don't like it at CT prices I will come down and buy it from you. Even help install a different unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.