Pellet and Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemac

Mar 10, 2008
Maine
Anybody use both a pellet and a wood stove for heat?

I have Wood Stove Regency Insert on 1st Floor Fireplace
My house has 3 zones :
One for finished basement TV room with dormant fireplace
One for 1st and 2nd floor
One for addition over the garage

Temps OK just burning too much oil.

Tom

Tom, you might try posting this in the Hearth room and/or the Pellet forum.

We use both a pellet stove and wood stove. When it was -22 below the Liberty was kicking out some serious heat, the basement was 85 and the upstairs was between 70 - 72.

Zap

We use a pellet stove as our main heat source and burn our wood stove on weekends and when it is really cold out. When the temp dips around zero we burn both and have a nice toasty house in every nook and cranny. Without the wood our family room and the adjacent bedroom are a little cool if outside temps are real low. I have thought about replacing the wood burner with a second pellet stove but am very paranoid about fuel availability in a crisis. With wood I always know that I can take a walk in the woods outback and heat my house pretty much indefinitely.

Dennis that is fine with me to move this post
might get more traffic over in pellet land!

Zappny and Skinn

Thanks for your responses

One Follow up ?:
Do you guys have both wood and pellet on the same floor?

Tom

I guess I should have been a little more clear with my layout, we have a raised ranch style home that is built on a slight hill. The lower level is pretty much on ground level with only the western wall 4 feet underground. The wood stove is on the lower level where we have a family room, bedroom, bathroom laundry and storage. The pellet stove is in the living room on the upper level. We are heating approximately 2500 sq. ft. with about 1700 of it on the main level where the pellet stove is. The wood stove is directly under the pellet stove. The pellet stove is our primary heat during the winter and is hooked to a thermostat. If we don't run the wood stove or baseboards downstairs then that area stays about 60 with the up stairs in the 70 plus range. When burning wood the pellet stove runs much less as I am sure you can figure with our setup. I hope this isn't too confusing but I just wanted to give you a good idea of our stove locations and how we use them. We really only burn both in really cold weather and burn wood a lot on weekends and days we are around the house all day. When we have a continuous fire and it is mild out (20-30 degrees) then the pellet stove doesn't kick on. If we are using the family room I will start a small fire to take the chill off but it doesn't do much for the upstairs so in that case the pellet stove will be running too.

Status
Not open for further replies.