Pellet and woood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcope

Aug 1, 2008
howell mi
I became so angree at the propane company this past year that I put a pellet stove and a wood insert in . Does any one else out there have botf a wood insert and a pellet burner. If so please let me know how its working out for you. I found out with blocking of the rooms and hall ways I do not use a lot that the wood burnner is what I use 95 percent of the time and I live on ten acres of wood.
Jim

I have used an add-on wood furnace since the early 80’s and pellet stove beginning Sept 2007. My source of wood is about 10 miles away and a bit far off the road. I decided it was no longer a good idea to work alone for safety concerns. Even though I never had any injuries, it never was a practice so I quit while I was ahead. This my second season with the pellet stove however if I lived on my wood source I would fire with 75% wood, 30% pellets and 5% Fuel oil. I like the heat in the basement family room, utility room and garage. Fuel oil usage only enough to keep the unit operational or If I am away for a period.

I use both a pellet stove and a wood insert. This is my first year with the pellet stove though. I basically use the pellet stove as my main source of heat and augment with wood, I plan to use it more when it gets colder to help the stove. My house is about 2300 sq. ft. so the pellet stove alone will not quite cut it. I have been keeping the main level which is about 1600 sq. ft. plenty warm with the pellet stove but beyond that I need a little help so that is where the wood comes in. I burned wood all last weekend and we were in the lower teens here, with the stove running on a thermostat set at 70 the entire house was toasty and I only used one bag in an entire 3 day weekend so the wood helped a lot! However burning wood everyday is a bit much especially with trying to get two kids and my wife and I out of the house during the week. On top of that my insert won't hold a fire overnight or all day while we are working so the pellet stove provides the consistent heat that we used to rely on the furnace for so that is nice.

We have a split level type design house. He have a pellet stove in the front room 24' x 24' with a large open stairwell to the kids rooms. A wood stove in the kitchen dinning room 24'x 15' and another pellet stove in our office and master bedroom area 20' x 24' (two separate rooms so do not freak). We have only used the wood stove one weekend this burn season. Keeping it as an emergency in case power goes out. Both pellet stoves run 24/7. We used to heat the house with the wood stove and the LP as a back up cycling approx every 2 hrs or so. Since we went to pellets we have not ran the LP at all and I tripped the breaker so it will not fire up. We keep the house at 72 degrees and love it. Still have a 22' x 22' car port full of wood.

Pics are the P-24 in the front room and the Pacific Energy wood stove in the dinning room as it was under construction with the temporary kid guard.

Attachments

• P-24 small.jpg
    P-24 small.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 221
  • P1010798.JPG
    P1010798.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 223
Status
Not open for further replies.