pellet availability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jant

Jun 10, 2008
Brunswick, ME
Is anyone fearful of a wood pellet shortage in the near or distant future? We just bought a Mt. Vernon Quadra-fire stove and I don't want to have made a bad decision.

thanks for your responses

Frankly I cannot see how there will not be a pellet shortage this year. In 2005 the run on pellets caused by fear of low fuel supplies due to Katrina set off a land rush on pellet stoves and pellets. The same mentality is going to be driving pellet purchases this year driven by a fears of a shortage of dollar bills in the hip pocket to buy fuel oil, electricity etc.

Sure more pellet mills have been built but the available supply of "waste" wood materials is dropping like a rock as construction grinds to a halt and it is becoming uneconomic to transport and process timber.

And capitalists being capitalists, there are going to be some sharp operators buying every truckload they can find to squirrel away in warehouses as an investment.

Order now and get an extra ton. If they are available later you will still get a better price today. Some disagree but a cord of oak is almost 300 here now, was 210 last year and 160 the year before...its all relative if other fuels rise so will the one you use.

Ordered a Haman XXV last weekend for August pickup (I am to far from dealer for devlivery install) fireplace store was full of buyers on a 95degree day here in NH.Been out shopping for pellets since.Getting quotes (not more then a few bags around) of over $300(320-327) plus delivery.Also read about different manufactures doubling capacity over last two years and a fire in one pellet plant.Higher demand, lower supply (sounds like light crude on the NYMEX only no Nigerian Rebels!).I would say its easy to predict both higher prices and less availability.This may well slow the growth of the pellet stove industry if homeowners are stuck with expensive plant holders.

May have a line on some reasonable Energex,any thoughts on these softwood pellets? I did a search and found both pros and cons but may not be able to be chose which brand to buy just whats available.

Lowes has plenty of pellets for like $260.00 per ton. They were like $230.00 per ton last weekend but they had to raise the prices due to fuel costs to truck the pellets to them. Home depot is taking orders for like $225.00 per ton due to arrive in about a month but not sure what type of pellets they are getting.

I looked on both LOW and HD's websites and could not find them for a quote.Both of the stores are 45 minitues away and not sure about delivery but will check.
Would also want to know what type/brand they have.

Lowes has the Green Team pellets and not sure what home depot is getting.

Yes, I see a healthy price hike coming. Saw dust is in short supply, due to the construction industry for homes in the toilet. Fuel prices for delivery trucks have shot through the ceiling since last year, and show no signs of stopping. A few saw mills have shut down, due to the lack of business, due to a lack of home sales, further reducing sawdust availability. I think that there may be a shortage of pellets, but by how much, I don't know. I do know that I decided not to wait and find out, on prices, or availability. I just purchased 1.5 tons and filled up my sheds. If nothing else, it is just about assured myself that I have saved some money. I do have a feeling that those folks that wait until the last second to get their pellets might be unhappy, especially on the price end. My local OSH store has nine (9) tons sitting in their yard, which the yard people wish would vanish, as it is taking up room, and is out of season for them. They may find that they are sitting on a small investment, when the price goes up. I am sure that there are many people in my area, who will be in need of pellets, but have not given a thought to pellet purchasing yet, as the temperatures are in the 80-90 degree ranges right now.

umeweall said:
Yes, I see a healthy price hike coming. Saw dust is in short supply, due to the construction industry for homes in the toilet. Fuel prices for delivery trucks have shot through the ceiling since last year, and show no signs of stopping. A few saw mills have shut down, due to the lack of business, due to a lack of home sales, further reducing sawdust availability. I think that there may be a shortage of pellets, but by how much, I don't know. I do know that I decided not to wait and find out, on prices, or availability. I just purchased 1.5 tons and filled up my sheds. If nothing else, it is just about assured myself that I have saved some money. I do have a feeling that those folks that wait until the last second to get their pellets might be unhappy, especially on the price end. My local OSH store has nine (9) tons sitting in their yard, which the yard people wish would vanish, as it is taking up room, and is out of season for them. They may find that they are sitting on a small investment, when the price goes up. I am sure that there are many people in my area, who will be in need of pellets, but have not given a thought to pellet purchasing yet, as the temperatures are in the 80-90 degree ranges right now.

lol - in Maine we have people burning 9 tons our 9 month winter

Status
Not open for further replies.