pellet basket burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homefire

Jan 16, 2006
Has this pellet burner been discussed here before.
I just ran across it and wonder if anyone has used it.
Looks like it could be made fairly easy and use in a grill or fire pit.

http://www.energex.com/

yea.....theyve been out for about 10 years....2 sizes...2 bay, and 3 bay (shown)....fairly expensive, stainless steel....problem with them was that with natural draft, the air didnt seem to circulate enough to burn the pellets well....am actually somewhat surprised to see them...as I recall, they never sold very well.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Agreed, we never could make them work, or sell.

Would a blower hooked to the gas jets on a grill supply enough draft to the bottom of the pellet basket?
Will pellets burn from the top down or will they need to burn from the bottom up. I suppose the entier basket would go up in a blaze. Just thinking if I could convert an old gas grill as it now cost 12 bucks to fill the 20# propane. Might even convert the tank to compressed air and use that to force the draft.

sounds like your trying to engineer something. Im shure a gas grill will keep em burning, but the trick is to enject high vilocity air into them to make them burn at maximum efficiency, a gas grill burner would not do this. and then there is all the issues with not haveing a pilot light, delayed ingnition, ghosting, so many issues we dont even want to get into it.
Ryan

Nice to see the pellet burner come around again. Never really knew if they worked or not. Always considered converting my insert over to burn pellets would be like converting my ethanol powered CRX over to burn Jack Daniels whiskey. $3-4 bucks for a bag of pellets, or I can get a cord of hardwood for about $15 worth of gas + my effort.

Corey

I tried one for two days.

When I bought my house in 98 it snowed 2 feet the next day we moved in and found out our heater did not work.

I did not have wood to burn in the wood stove that was in the house and im a pellet guys and refused to burn wood
I pulled a pellet basket from my store on put in in the stove. It worked well but it was a pain in the butt to Re load in a free standing wood stove for there was not much room above the basket when it is in a stove and you burn your hands.
One Fill up would burn for about 3 hours.
I heated a 1900 sq feet house with it but it was not as toasty as it is now with my Windsor pellet stove.

See my Inside and outside temp with my weather station.

http://www.climatecontrolsystems.org/~davis/

Status
Not open for further replies.