Pellet/Boiler for stem heat??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Does anyone know if there is a pellet fired boiler which can be used in an existing steam heat system? Would love to change over but all I see are furnaces for hot air or maybe hot water.

Look up Harman PB 105. Many other units besides that one...

I have not seen a steam pellet boiler. Harman PB 105 is a hot water boiler. A steam boiler requires some serious temps.

At 3.6 Bar (52.2 psi) Saturated Steam Temperature would be 148.8 Deg. C (299.9 Deg. F)

Swaybar said:
I have not seen a steam pellet boiler. Harman PB 105 is a hot water boiler. A steam boiler requires some serious temps.

At 3.6 Bar (52.2 psi) Saturated Steam Temperature would be 148.8 Deg. C (299.9 Deg. F)

My Bad. I am a Forced Hot Air guy... Tarm Solo is another brand of Boiler. But prob not what your looking for....

Sorry.......

If all of the zones are feed and return, then you can probably switch over to hot water.
Most pellet boilers arn't for on demand heating but constant as needed for demand and require on out side thermostat to be eficient.
Look at European sites for info.
Good luck.

The Pellergy pellet burner replaces your oil burner on your existing steam boiler. The used to display this on a more obvious place on their page, now it's noted in the FAQ and perhaps elsewhere on the site.

I meant to post this as the third link as it gives a little more info than I could spot on the Pellergy site: http://www.hbplumbingandheating.com/index.php/wood-pellet-boiler-conversion

As for the other link... yeah I don't what I was doing with that one. I do have another one somewhere..... just can find it at the moment...

Swaybar said:

Those numbers you have listed are for industrial application. For a residential boiler you should be not more than 5 psi. Any pellet boiler could be used for steam just like a gas/oil fired boiler for your home. But It just has to be qualified to produce steam. Pellets for industrial application are mainly for small to medium business. If it's for a medium to large an industrial application you will need to convert to something like a chiptec . Either using wood chips or larger (borla)? chunks which may require a new boiler.

Thanks for all the great information. Now I can start dreaming and working on the wife!

Status
Not open for further replies.