pellet-boiler-isnt-cutting-the-mustard....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

Feb 18, 2015
I can see Ontario from NNY
While there has been sound info provided, you could also pose your question in the boiler room forum ... https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/the-boiler-room-wood-boilers-and-furnaces.13/ Might just be a rehash of what you have heard here though...

I hope you can help your friend and his mother in getting the heating sorted out. Stories like this always leave me disappointed.:(

Great idea and as always, thank you Lake Girl ! I would love to have some more opinions and sound advice to try and help this family out.

Find our discussion HERE. :cool:

90% plus efficient?

I am having a hard time believing that but anyway a tiny boiler to meet what can only be a high demand.

I agree with the comments made on the other thread, pick off the low hanging fruit, do at least basic insulation.

Lets say it puts out 50,000 btu's, that is less than 25btus per sq ft and I would guess that is the sort of load a well built, well insulated modern house in your area would need.

I would also go with the second oil/gas boiler as probably being the most logical solution.

How many feet of baseboard is there in the house?

If the Harmon will not provide enough BTU's to get water temp up to 180* with all zones calling it's just flat out not going to have enough output.
Nothing can be done to improve the situation if the pellet boiler won't make enough heat.

I was told Harman is getting away from pellet boilers, that may be a sufficient statement in and of itself.

It was agreed today that more insulation is a requirement.

The Harman is not capable of putting out 180* by itself, he was happy when he finally got over 140*

They will zone and close off the second floor.

Running another boiler in tandem with this unit, this unit as a supplement maybe the correct answer.

Perhaps a direct vent boiler?

I am not going to knock Harman as I know nothing about them and any other boiler of the same specs would have the same issue.

You can look up how much heat per foot the radiators produced e at 180 vs 140. It is a big difference.

Bearing in mind her age etc I would go for a system where the pellet is primary, the fossil boiler takes up the slack or heats the place by itself when the pellet is not in use.

Just make sure it adequate, probably rated at nearer 200k by the sound of it.

Venting would depend on location etc, my Propane is hung on the wall and vents straight through in plastic.

I was told Harman is getting away from pellet boilers, that may be a sufficient statement in and of itself.

It was agreed today that more insulation is a requirement.

The Harman is not capable of putting out 180* by itself, he was happy when he finally got over 140*

They will zone and close off the second floor.

Running another boiler in tandem with this unit, this unit as a supplement maybe the correct answer.

Perhaps a direct vent boiler?

I believe I live within fifteen minutes drive from you and and am well aware of the challenge of finding knowledgable trades people locally. I would agree with previous comments that an adequately sized oil or propane boiler in tandem is the most logical short term solution. If isolating the second floor they might seriously consider insulating the first floor ceilings rather than the attic. It can be done fairly inexpensively from the exterior with blown cellulose; ideally dense pack, if the ceilings will withstand the installation pressures. While they probably have a long waiting list, she should fill out an application at CDP in Canton. At the very least perhaps they can steer your friends toward some of the more skilled and honest heating/insulation businesses.

Good luck,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.