Pellet Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
I am looking to eventually get a pellet boiler.

I have baseboard heating and would need to run my hot water off it of course.

From what i have read about boilers this can be done?

I have about a 2000 sq ft house not including the basement, i am building a room in part of the basement that i would eventually like to install a 2nd heating zone in/

Would a pellet boiler work for me?

Also what are the best brands of pellet boilers.

Thanks for any info you can give

Getting a heat loss analysis would give you some very pertintent information suited to your needs. Do a search for "heat loss calculator" to find a link to get your calculations started and so you can understand some of the vocabulary and then get a pro in there to do a calculation to get some real firm data. Knowing your current heating usage can give a rule of thumb but may put you in a less than effective scenario when the dead of winter hits. Because different appliances perform differently you may find a low setting too hot in nominal shoulder season and too cool in crunch time. So yes it can be done and doing a google for "pellet boilers" will start you into the world of suppliers. Best to you...

If you want something simple to use and easy to work on, find a Pinnacle dealer near you. I know there are some. They dont have all the high tech stuff, but I sell them down here in New York because with less gadgets, less to go wrong. Plus working on them reminds me of the days when you could open the hood of your car and change your own spark plugs.

They have two heat settings, 88K btus and 130K btus so unless your house is r200 or you leave every window and door open, 2K square feet is at the lower end of what this workhorse is designed to do.

So, yes, it can be done and if installed right can be a real pleasure and an easy way to save money on heat.

As was said above, Pinnacle is one option. Self-cleaning options include Oekefen and Froeling. If you don't mind devoting 15 minutes a week to brush out the flue tubes, our EcoBoiler is a good option. It has automatic ignition like the self-cleaning Austrian boilers, and adjusts to lower power settings than the Pinnacle. To maintain longer run-times, it's desirable to run a pellet burner at lower power in the Spring and Fall, as well as the summer if you're using your pellet boiler to heat your hot water.

Chris,

I live in a 2000 sq ft home heated with a wood pellet boiler and there hasn't been a problem. You need to check out Maine Energy Systems or MESys. They sell OkoFEN wood pellet boilers which are the best to my knowledge (We have a Bosch in my house which requires monthly cleaning). They also deliver wood pellets pneumatically in a 150 mile radius from Bethel. (and have a 3 year pellet lock in price if you buy a boiler from them)

The pellets are stored in a ~4 ton bag in the basement and the truck comes and blows pellets into it and the boiler feeds itself from the bag, there is no pellet handling at all.

Good luck in the transition to local wood pellets! If you have any questions let me know, I am a young engineer and have been involved in the wood pellet boiler industry for 3 years now.

Charles

it really wouldn't be to hard to hook up a pellet boiler, I loved mine, but now the house is for sale and if the buyer will give me a few grand more I will leave it for them, (caretaking a new property that already has a woodstove) otherwise the boiler goes with me for the future when I have my own house again.

Chris04626 said:
I am looking to eventually get a pellet boiler.

I have baseboard heating and would need to run my hot water off it of course.

From what i have read about boilers this can be done?

I have about a 2000 sq ft house not including the basement, i am building a room in part of the basement that i would eventually like to install a 2nd heating zone in/

Would a pellet boiler work for me?

Also what are the best brands of pellet boilers.

Thanks for any info you can give
If your system has to be fully automatic, pellets would be a good choice. If you are able to gather free wood, even some of it, you might want to check into a Lambda boiler. Like the one Mod used to say, he wanted control over his heating costs & you don't have that with pellets, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.