Pellet brands

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestonFire22

Dec 8, 2007
Weston, NE
Just thought I would ask about pellet brands, I am using MarthWood pellets, looks like they come out of Marathon, WI. That is what the local Bomgaars carries. Just wondering if anyone else uses them or has any experience, good or bad. They seem to be ok, but since this is my first year, I have nothing to compare to.

Bruce

First year on an England 25-PDV

Bruce, I m in the same boat as you. Same stove with the same pellets and brand new stove. I don't know if the are better or worse pellets but I can not complain. My window stays clean, plate behind fire is white. I just don't know what the average amount of pellets should be used on the #5 setting per hour or day.

It's usually just a matter of buying a few bags here and there and finding your favorite.
Fespo what stove do you have? On average a 45,000 btu stove will suck up 5.5 lbs per hour on high. 30,000 but stove is around 3.5 lbs per hour. Take your BTU input rating from your stove at that setting and divide by 8200 (the average btu content of a lb. of pellets)

We've been burning Pres-to-Logs premium pellets. I'm happy with them. We also have a few bags of Greene Team pellets but haven't tried them yet so no opinion on those yet.

That 25pdv I think is a 30k btu unit. So you'll be burning a little more than 3.5 lbs per hour. I notice that the pdv now has auto ignition. Is this on/off or hi/low. If on off then of course your burning nothing while it's off but if it's hi/lo then your probably burning 1.2 lbs per hour while its on low.

Status
Not open for further replies.