Pellet bucket that opens bag?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgros

Jan 20, 2009
DE
Does anyone know the name of the pellet bucket that splits/opens the bag when you drop the bag in it? I saw it online last year when we were checking out pellet stoves but I can't remember it for the life of me. I've tried googling and can't find it. Anyone know?

- rosemarie

" . . .Pellet Pail http://www.pelletpail.com and love it. Just drop the bag in and lift it out. Holds a full 40 pounds . . . . . ."

Taken from a thread on this site.

I''m sure yoou could make one of these a lot cheaper. A 5-gallon pail with a sharp edge somehow attached to the bottom would work. When I'm not here. my wife somehow manages to fill the hopper. Never seen her do it though. I hope the milkman isn't helping . :-S

You can make one for $5 or less.

Here is how it works...

1. Sit your pellet bag upright on the floor.
2. Cut the top of the bag open.
3. Place you pail upside over the pellet bag.
4. Turn them both over.
5. Lift bag out.

:p

The problem I see with those pails is their expensive, you still have to lft the bag, then you still have to lift a 40# pail to pour the pellets in. You might as well just pour in the bag. I use two small pails myself. But, to each his own.

Why not just cut the top of the bag open and dump the pellets in your stove. I don't understand the pail thing.

I agree...its expensive. I couldn't remember how much it was until I found the site again. My problem with dumping the pellets is that when I cut almost all the top off and go to dump it, somehow I end up spilling pellets everywhere. Most of it goes in but a good bit goes flying elsewhere. When I try cutting a corner off and dumping, I did exactly what someone else on here was laughing about. I start dumping them in just fine but then it doesn't come out fast enough, the bag gets stuck in the hopper. Ok....Ok....go ahead and laugh y'all. It is a funny site to see I'm sure. I was just thinking the pellet pail would give me better control while dumping the pellets. I'll have to see if I can find a cheaper version that still looks nice sitting next to the stove. Hey...I'm a woman...its gotta look nice :eek:)

- Rosemarie

rgros said:
I agree...its expensive. I couldn't remember how much it was until I found the site again. My problem with dumping the pellets is that when I cut almost all the top off and go to dump it, somehow I end up spilling pellets everywhere. Most of it goes in but a good bit goes flying elsewhere. When I try cutting a corner off and dumping, I did exactly what someone else on here was laughing about. I start dumping them in just fine but then it doesn't come out fast enough, the bag gets stuck in the hopper. Ok....Ok....go ahead and laugh y'all. It is a funny site to see I'm sure. I was just thinking the pellet pail would give me better control while dumping the pellets. I'll have to see if I can find a cheaper version that still looks nice sitting next to the stove. Hey...I'm a woman...its gotta look nice :eek:)

- Rosemarie

Sounds like you need a coal hod ;-)
Much easier to just pour some pellets into the hod and then
dump them into the hopper. Not one pellet falls overboard.
My coal hod holds about 1/3 a bag at a time.

The simplest way IMO is to simply place 2 standard plastic (5 gal) pails next to each other on the floor/ground, lay a bag of pellets across them with one end on either pail and with a razor knife cut a 6" slit toward the corner and let the pellets drop into the pail. When it`s 3/4 full lift the bag and let the rest fall in the other pail. A 10 yr is now able to refill the stove without a mess or fuss.

I just stand the bag upright,take a pair of scissors and cut off a corner of the bag.Lifting it to the harper and dumping it.I don't get any pellets all over the place.

Good ideas. Anthony, my husband doesn't have any problems doing it your way but I just can't seem to lift it up without spilling some. I have a Harman P68 and I think it may sit up a bit higher than some other pellet stoves which might be my problem. We almost bought the XXV and I think it would have been easier for me to load the hopper on that one.

- Rosemarie

Status
Not open for further replies.