Pellet Build-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uprock

Jan 24, 2009
Mid-Coast Maine
Every once in a while it appears that the pellets are falling too fast or not burning properly. I wake up to a burn pot full of ash and some un-burned pellets, sometimes spilling over the top. Any ideas?

More info needed. What kind of stove, what settings, what kind of pellets, OAK ?

uprock,

This happens with my stove every once in a while. It seems it has to due with too high a feed rate vs. my damper closed too much.

Usually, all I do to solve the problem is to break up the pellet clump in the burn box with a 5-1 tool. Then lower the feed rate and open up the damper a bit. It self corrects in about 15 minutes or so when the "extra" pellets burn up.

It has only happened twice this year. Both times when I was really pushing the stove hard. Real high feed rate and the damper closed down about as much as I could and still get a good fire. Both times I chalked it up to having the damper closed too far.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

uprock,

How many bags of pellets have you burned?

The pile up problem is normally the result of air flow issues, it is possible that your draft is closed to much, however if the stove was burning fine using the same pellets for a fairly long period of time I'd suspect ash buildup in the exhaust system as being the cause.

Anything from the air intake to the opening on the exhaust system outside of your house that gets dirty or otherwise restricted can lead to the situation you are having. Also anything that causes the ash that gets ejected from the burn pot to re enter the burn pot, things like growing ash ears between the burn pot and the back of the fire box that can fall over into the burn pot can overwhelm the air flow that keeps the burn pot clean.

Investor,

A 5 in 1 tool is like a stiff puttyknife about 3" wide at the blade. It is a utility tool for painting. It has 5 different functions. I like them because they are stiffer than a putty knife.
The nice thing about them is that they have a point on one side (good for cleaning out the burn pot liner air holes)

They are available at any hardware store where paint is sold.

Here is a link to one.

http://www.hechinger.com/hardware/t...1-2-5-1-black-silver-painters-tool-02970.html

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

overfeeding like that sounds to me like a dirty pot no air comming threw the pot

Does anyone have a site that sells a longer pot scraper? The one that came with the stove is great when stove is down.When I use that scraper when stove running I have no more knuckle hair lol

I burn about 1-1/2 bags a day on high, less if the temp outside is above 20. (which it hasnt been). Seems like alot to me, but its my first year and still learning. The over flow doesnt happen all the time. I did give it a good cleaning yesterday and seems to be running fine now. The airflow is the hardest thing for me to understand. The flame as the book states isnt a lazy or a blazing flame, but somewhere in between. The glass has a smokey white film on it and alittle brown only on the edges. It's trial and error, but obviously want the most efficiency. The dealer I bought from are pretty helpful but a pain in the ass to get them to come over!
Thanks

Not the number of bags per day but the total since you last cleaned the stove and all of its vent piping.

Removing and working on a burn pot requires re-seating and sometimes it doesn't sit just right which reduces the air flow through the pot and can lead to build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.