pellet choice for me so far(cubex added)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtakeman said:
BLIMP said:
My theory is simply that I've yet to see volume considered as a factor in evaluating pellets.

Well after checking the PFI standards it says Bulk density, Lbs.per cubic foot. Should be 40 to 46lbs.. So if the 40 lbs bag fits in 1 cubic foot. It passes spec's!

Find a 1 cubic foot box and be sure the 40 lbs fits in the box. If it doesn't fit all in, there not up to spec! So they would be considered less dense. Correct?
Pellets are sold by weight. The above numbers describe an allowable 15% difference in volume from different pellets.The Barefoot bag doesn't have a PFI seal on it & calls itself super premium & the bag doesn't list a % of fines. I'd guess the Barefoot to be the denser pellet than Corinth & so be a hotter pellet which would allow the stove to burn at a lower rate & prevent wear except for the possibility that the denser pellet might not crunch as easily in the auger & have results there also.

BLIMP said:
jtakeman said:
BLIMP said:
My theory is simply that I've yet to see volume considered as a factor in evaluating pellets.

Well after checking the PFI standards it says Bulk density, Lbs.per cubic foot. Should be 40 to 46lbs.. So if the 40 lbs bag fits in 1 cubic foot. It passes spec's!

Find a 1 cubic foot box and be sure the 40 lbs fits in the box. If it doesn't fit all in, there not up to spec! So they would be considered less dense. Correct?
Pellets are sold by weight. The above numbers describe an allowable 15% difference in volume from different pellets.The Barefoot bag doesn't have a PFI seal on it & calls itself super premium & the bag doesn't list a % of fines. I'd guess the Barefoot to be the denser pellet than Corinth & so be a hotter pellet which would allow the stove to burn at a lower rate & prevent wear except for the possibility that the denser pellet might not crunch as easily in the auger & have results there also.

Thats the importance of having a dense pellet not exceed the length where it is too long & will jam & snap in the auger feed system.
I am not sure where this happens.
I have heard some snap in my Harman.
However there is that flat plate above the auger that is driven back & forth.
My guess is it gets jammed there. Or there to the auger as the pellet is too long to travel/get pulled in the auger feed as it rotates.

BLIMP said:
jtakeman said:
BLIMP said:

Blimp

I still think heat and lenght of burn time has to be include in a real world test. Volume/Density could be factored in. Maybe next year I will retest a few brands.

I have my old quad and I can hook it to my wood stove flue. I could do time studies and volume comparisons. But as I said before its hard to do time studies with a busy life schedule. But if I only run it while I am home and track the total run time. Maybe I will be able to do it.

What else will be required in this real world test??? Something you want to add???

Take it easy
jay

Jay,

IMO-There is no doubt pellet density is an issue in regards to burn time.
Also the diameter of a pellet & the "SIZE/LENGTH".
Since an auger set to the "same feed rate" will drive differing amounts of pellets based on their length.

IMO-2-I would not doubt a few columns added to your tests
could be beneficial.
Really think the "Burn Time" column will favor with your Column showing the higher "Heat" though.

However it will be interesting to see how the "Volume/Density" comes into play.

Would it make sense to test pellets all at the same feed rate???

The temp & humidity of the combustion air should have some effect so a stove without an OAK would seem better where the combustion air is moderated by the room. The temp of the outdoor should be fairly constant when making comparisons, even though an OAK is not used.

Somehow I knew you were going to say that. The Quad I have is a older model 800/nova. There are no provisions to connect an OAK. Warmed room air only. The auger is On/Off(by T-stat) with no speed adjustment. The only feed adjustment on the stove is a paddle in the hopper. Nothing techie about this old stove. I should be able to adjust the feed to match temps for each brands with the paddle.

Anything else?

By the way, Are you sure you are not POOK? He was kind of stuck on that humidity/OAK thing.

Wow I'm sorry I opened up another can of beans!!! Anyhow I don't believe I will have to burn the stove at a very high setting next winter because I am only trying to heat about 1100 sq.ft. with the stove and the place is super insulated r-19 in the walls r-38 w/ r-19 bats in the attic and all Pella thermo argon filled windows I didn't scrimp on the important stuff :)

bfgmt said:
Wow I'm sorry I opened up another can of beans!!! Anyhow I don't believe I will have to burn the stove at a very high setting next winter because I am only trying to heat about 1200 sq.ft. with the stove and the place is super insulated r-19 in the walls r-38 w/ r-19 bats in the attic and all Pella thermo argon filled windows I didn't scrimp on the important stuff :)

Thats OK, I like beans(my wife doesn't like me to eat them though :lol:). Sorry to kind of jack your thread. Its all good. And I am glad you are compairing pellets. Because each stove has variables, I feel it is neccasary for us to compare them for ourselves. Know you know what the stove likes to eats(just don't feed it too many beans!).

peace!

jtakeman said:
Somehow I knew you were going to say that. The Quad I have is a older model 800/nova. There are no provisions to connect an OAK. Warmed room air only. The auger is On/Off(by T-stat) with no speed adjustment. The only feed adjustment on the stove is a paddle in the hopper. Nothing techie about this old stove. I should be able to adjust the feed to match temps for each brands with the paddle.

Anything else?

By the way, Are you sure you are not POOK? He was kind of stuck on that humidity/OAK thing.
Guess I forgot to mention wind direction & speed as a factor & sunshine, what else. Scientific testing involves eliminating all factorial variations so to get a valid conclusion. Does POOK abbreviate something like PITA?

BLIMP said:
jtakeman said:

Anything else?

Guess I forgot to mention wind direction & speed as a factor & sunshine, what else. Scientific testing involves eliminating all factorial variations so to get a valid conclusion. Does POOK abbreviate something like PITA?

Yes he said I was a PITA many times!

Maybe I'm POOK!

jtakeman said:
BLIMP said:
jtakeman said:

Anything else?

Maybe I'm POOK!
Maybe POOK stands for "Probable Outer Orbit Kaleidescope"?

BLIMP said:
jtakeman said:
BLIMP said:
jtakeman said:

Anything else?

Maybe I'm POOK!
Maybe POOK stands for "Probable Outer Orbit Kaleidescope"?

Some of us believed Pook was not from this "world"!

Sorry to kind of jack your thread no need to be sorry I am still learning and appreciate the input please continue. I think I have figured out what to try next winter Oakies are 351 a pallet thats 1.3 tons each so I think 3 should do fine

but the same place has Spruce Pointe 1.2 tons 318 and Inferno 250 per ton, I have never tried either one and they wont have them till may so it would be a shot in the dark for me any thoughts

oh and I can still get Barefoot for 260 pr ton but it is a little bit of a ride for me 285 if i get them close

Status
Not open for further replies.