pellet choice???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smileesmith

Mar 2, 2012
west NH
Just curious what any of you know about Fireside Ultra premium grade - wood pellets--- VS Premium Green wood pellets -- both suppose to be low ash
I used the Premium Green all winter - lots of Ash-- Now I am mixing these two pellet types together--- There is a huge difference in the size of the pellets--
The Green Supreme are about 1 " long and the Fireside pellets are little nubs -Price range is close--

Bought the Fireside Pellets at Home Depot -- for $4.68 40 lbs

Want PELLETS that have very LOW ASH RESULTS -- ******

ANY SUGGESTIONS -- on types of pellets-- that I could find to purchase in NH--

Thanks -

Somerset if available in your area.

1D

My signature shows what I have burned to date and my thoughts. At the right price would mean $210/ton or less.

smileesmith said:
Just curious what any of you know about Fireside Ultra premium grade - wood pellets--- VS Premium Green wood pellets -- both suppose to be low ash
I used the Premium Green all winter - lots of Ash-- Now I am mixing these two pellet types together--- There is a huge difference in the size of the pellets--
The Green Supreme are about 1 " long and the Fireside pellets are little nubs -Price range is close--

Bought the Fireside Pellets at Home Depot -- for $4.68 40 lbs

Want PELLETS that have very LOW ASH RESULTS -- ******

ANY SUGGESTIONS -- on types of pellets-- that I could find to purchase in NH--

Thanks -

Welcome smileesmith,

Both of the pellets you have listed are pretty close. But best to do a trial in your stove. Each stove burns a little different and your results can vary some. These are in the blend catagory(mix of hard-softwood). One to look out for is MWP as they have been the lowest ash in the blends. There are many many other blends on the market. NEWP is the maker of the Green Supremes.

The lowest ash pellets will usually be softwoods. Brands to look out for are Okanagan, Spruce Pointes, Vermont Wood Pellets, LG granuals, and a few others. You might also see MaineWoods softies if they decide to produce some this spring. You might also see some killer douglas fir brands out there-But they will be very pricey!

Next lowest ash would be 100% oak pellets. Then the hardwoods the flooring companies produce. Brands like Turman, Lauzon(Northern-Cubex-Comfort brands) and Somerset(there are a few more out there!).

One of my winter hobbies is reviewing pellets. I have some here and on another site. The fun is hunting whats available locally and trying about every brand so you get a feel for them. You'll know which are hits in your stove. The stove is the boss when it comes to what it wants to eat. Best to listen to it! ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few links so you can check what I have reviewed.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60581/

http://woodpelletreviews.com/Pellets/Takeman-Reviews.html

Also some info on rebagging. Some mills actually produce products and bag them with different names. So they can sell in the pellet dealer and bigbox markets without causing ruffled feathers.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51230/

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay with our group. Watch out for our pellet pigs sneaking about your pellet stash! ;-)

The Other One said:
I really don't care what it is if its under $4/bag or $200 a ton. I don't mind emptying the ash pan more often or cleaning it more often (due to the leaf blower making this much easier).

I dont mind ash much either. But the pellet still has to produce heat. There are some pellets out there that produce heat and lots of ash. Some pellets just create a lot of ash and no heat. Be careful what you buy... ;-P

If the Green Supremes and Fireside Ultras were the same price, I'd go with the Green Supremes for sure. Ultras were one of the worst I have ever burned, but I have not used them in 3 years so maybe they have improved.

The Other One said:
I haven't come across high ash and no heat yet. I would not be happy about that.

Heard that. I have burned a couple brands that have lots of ash and almost no heat.

I am currently burning Presto-Logs in my Quad ($177/ton) and they are pretty ashy, but they are petty close in heat to Somersets. Somersets are the best pellet around me. Very light ash and Super hot. I am trying to save the 2 ton I have for next year. Have not needed a really hot pellet so far.

To the OP- Always best to try before you buy. A deal may seem like its not worth passing on. But of you end up with 3 tons of "garbage", you will regret it for at least a year (or longer, until they are burned, sold, or given away).

There are some brands as Jay suggested that do well in almsot any stove. But for the most part, if your trying to buy pellets cheap, then make sure you try before you buy.

I just picked up some Geneva for 200/ton (also had MWP for same px). I have yet to burn any...does anyone have any recent experience on these? Also, I see lots of comments regarding many brands being good shoulder season pellets. What brands are recommended for the coldest, deep winter days?

bilsea said:
I just picked up some Geneva for 200/ton (also had MWP for same px). I have yet to burn any...does anyone have any recent experience on these? Also, I see lots of comments regarding many brands being good shoulder season pellets. What brands are recommended for the coldest, deep winter days?

Look at Jay's post #3 on this thread.
His list of low ash pellets is also a very good list for the "coldest, deep winter days," for his list has very hot burning pellets, and also follow Jay's testing links for more information.

1D

bilsea said:

I found the cold season stuff by temp checking. Some do it with the back of their hands and some do it with thermometers. But the cold season stuff usually caries a big price tag and not often found at the box stores. Brands to keep an eye out for that cranked the heat in my stove. But you won't really know until you try them in your stove!

Cubex-Northern-Comfort
Okanagan
Spruce Pointes
Somersets
Lignetics-Pres-to-logs
Greene Team-Green Gold
Turmans
Hamer Hot Ones-Hardwood Heat-Winter Warm
Barefoots
Allegheny
Blazers
Vermont Wood Pellets
Just a short list and there are many more out there-I'm sure I missed more than a few!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.