Pellet Choices for 2013-2014 Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grintch

Burning Hunk
Apr 4, 2013
North Attleboro
I decided to take the plunge and purchase a pellet stove and I'm really excited about it. I bought a Harman P68. It's being installed in June and I opted for an outside are kit.

The dealer I bougth it from has 3 choices of pellets.
-Hamers Hot Ones
-Turman
-Logik-E

I bought 4 tons of Hamers to start off with because there were some pretty good reviews on the forum about them. Then I figured I would pick up another 2 tons of mixed brands (Thinking maybe Barefoot, and Spruce Pointe)

Doing a little more digging folks are complaing about CLINKER?? when using Hamers. Thinking about changing my order from Hamers to Turman's.

Any thoughts or experiance with Hamers clinking?

I think any of those choices would be good ones, and wouldn't worry about clinkers in the Harman. Being a bottom feed design, it will just push everything into the ash pan anyway.

Otherwise, my choices would be the Turmans, Spruce Pointe, Hamer's, then Barefoot.

P68 and Turmans are a nice combo. Barefoots-Hamers-Sprucie Pointes and Logic-e's are also all good pellets IMHO. Should be fine with any of them depending on prices.

Reactions: will711
I'll probably stick with the Turmans as the pre-season price is a pretty cheap $530 for two tons (I may go with three tons next year depending on how much use my very new stove will get this coming season). I'd love to find alternatives just for curiosity's sake and may look at the Hamers too.

Reactions: CT Pellet
I'll probably stick with the Turmans as the pre-season price is a pretty cheap $530 for two tons (

Is that delivered or picked up price ?

Is that delivered or picked up price ?
That's the pick up price but, fortunately, just down the street from me (literally).

Turmans ;ex

Reactions: CT Pellet
Thank everyone for the input. Sounds like everyone has had good luck with Turmans, I'll be switching my order today.

Cheers!

Fuel and Flame in Woonsocket, RI. Check their web site site for prices. They are on vacation this week and should be on Saturday the18th. I think I'm going to go with 3 tons of Turmans and 1 of Hamers. I just like the name Hamers Hot Ones...I got to try them!!!

Did u mean Hamers ain't really hot ones;? I found that Somersets burned the same for a lot less money;lol

Reactions: newbieinCT
Logik-E is a decent pellet, Hamer's are exceptionally good but if wood pellets were dinosaurs, then the Turman pellets would be the freakin' T-Rex!
If you decide to go with Turman, then at some point, go to Lowe's or H.D. and snag a few bags of Green Supreme or Inferno or New England (NEWP) and do a side by side comparison. This way, you will really be able to appreciate the quality of the pellets that you are burning. Congrats on your new stove. People who burn wood pellets tend to be taller, smarter and better looking than people who do not burn wood pellets. Welcome aboard handsome!

That stove should burn about anything! There will be some that give more heat. I would stay away from some that always get bad reviews, but remember results very from stove to stove and from home to home. That is why you are always cautiloned to try a few bags before buying tons. The selections you made are just fine unless there has been any change in the way they are made. Yes, that does happen, and by the way they are kept. If they are newly made, you will know they have not set out in some back parking lot. There is a debate every year about how pellets are stored, but for my money, I won't buy any that have been kept outside for any duration. I've kept pellets in my garage for 3 years and they burned the same as when I first got them. I do think it is an excellent idea to get a years supply of pellets. That way you know you have them, and the ups and downs of oil prices won't impact you for that time. Yes the cost of pellets goes up when oil goes up. Justs the way it is. Good luck with that new pellet burner. Post some pictures when you get it installed. thanks

Reactions: newbieinCT
This upcoming winter will be my first burning pellets. Where are all of you storing your pellets in the off season and is it typically a winter season's supply? I used 190-240 gal. of propane per month for 5 months on my boiler and water heater last winter before the usage started coming down. I'm hoping that adding the extra insulation and stove will bring the cost down. I've never heard of Hamers, Turman, and Logik-E. Are these northeast brands?

Reactions: save$
This upcoming winter will be my first burning pellets. Where are all of you storing your pellets in the off season and is it typically a winter season's supply? I used 190-240 gal. of propane per month for 5 months on my boiler and water heater last winter before the usage started coming down. I'm hoping that adding the extra insulation and stove will bring the cost down. I've never heard of Hamers, Turman, and Logik-E. Are these northeast brands?

Yes, these are North East brands

Many of us store our winter's supply (or more) in the garage, the basement, or undercover in any storage shed or covered area. If the pellets are bought by the ton and still have the outter plastic wrapping intack and still on the pallet, even tarps will do. I keep mine in the garage for years with no problems. Just make sure the air can flow around them. No bags on the cement, none tucked against the wall. But that is just my opinion, not everyone feels the same.

Anyone ever use heartland pellets?

Nope but others have on the Forum, general opinion says there good. ;)

Just bought 10 bags of LaCrete hope there as good as people say. Going to get into the teens early in the week. Going to put them to the test.

I tried the Logik-e and found them to be a bit messy. Heat was ok. No better than the NEWP.

You can't go wrong with any of those pellets. Especially with that awesome bottom feed stove. Hammers are usually smaller pellets, they burn really hot, but fast. Turmans , they rock! this year. A little longer, and slower burning. Barefoot, about the same of Turmans. All three are great!!!

I tried the Logik-e and found them to be a bit messy. Heat was ok. No better than the NEWP.
What do you mean messy? Saw those at south shore pellet, but didn't know much about them.

Seemed like they made a ton of ash and the glass got dirty pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.