Pellet choices for Newbie 2014

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They burned sootier than the previous year and produced much thicker cloddier ash. I could go close to a full ton without emptying the ash pan where as the following year I did it close to every other week. The glass would blacken quite quickly as well. As far as a shouldering pellet goes, I never understood that concept. Why someone would want to purchase a cooler burning pellet for the warmer months is beyond me. And the Vermonts BTW do burn hot, just not as well/clean as the Lacretes did. Loved the Barefoots as well!

I am partial to the Lacretes and that is one of the brands I went with this season. Last season I used them and the Vermonts and found Lacretes better for my application. I had used Vermonts the prior year, and the QA had slipped from the previous year-- a risk I will not take again this year. My auger also found a giant pulp clod in in the Vermonts last year which brought my stove to a grinding halt and my hopper drawer to warp. Customer service was very considerate though, but still I will wait to see if things had improved.
I'm new here and to burning pellets - I purchased my stove just before the cold weather this past winter set in and had to good fortune to order 4 tons of Barefoot at the same time (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the place, but the TP on Rt. 7 in New Milford - all very nice people for sure). I just purchased 3 tons of LaCretes from BT in Bristol for $305-ish/ton. Do you like the LaCrete better than Barefoot in your Harman?

I'm new here and to burning pellets - I purchased my stove just before the cold weather this past winter set in and had to good fortune to order 4 tons of Barefoot at the same time (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the place, but the TP on Rt. 7 in New Milford - all very nice people for sure). I just purchased 3 tons of LaCretes from BT in Bristol for $305-ish/ton. Do you like the LaCrete better than Barefoot in your Harman?

I burned about half ton of Barefoots last year from TP, and they burned hot hot hot. The only issue I had if it is an issue, is that they burned faster than the others. I believe it may be due to the fact that the pellets are smaller than normal, and maybe more falls through the hopper drawer at once.

I burned about half ton of Barefoots last year from TP, and they burned hot hot hot. The only issue I had if it is an issue, is that they burned faster than the others. I believe it may be due to the fact that the pellets are smaller than normal, and maybe more falls through the hopper drawer at once.
Perhaps.... The one thing I did notice about Barefoot was that the glass got dirty around the 2nd - 3rd day running on a solid 3 - 4 on the STOVE TEMP mode and feed rate of 3 as per the advice of the installer. After my ton+ of Barefoot are gone I then can compare to the LaCretes which I will wait to use when it gets coler since the word here is that LaCretes are hotter than barefoot and are rated to have less ash

I went with the Lacretes and North Country.

I'm new here... are we allowed to ask/say where we purchased our pellets from ?

With you across the border in NF and me in NM, we would probably end up buying from similar places. After reading about all the shortages from this past season and noticing the TP still indicating on their website that you had to 'place an order' for the supply of Barefoot yet to arrive, I didn't want to take a chance and wait.. so that's how I ended up with LaCretes from BT in Bristol.

With you across the border in NF and me in NM, we would probably end up buying from similar places. After reading about all the shortages from this past season and noticing the TP still indicating on their website that you had to 'place an order' for the supply of Barefoot yet to arrive, I didn't want to take a chance and wait.. so that's how I ended up with LaCretes from BT in Bristol.

I'm getting mine delivered tomorrow morning from them. Trading post is good at procuring though, and even during the shortage last year the had product.

I'm getting mine delivered tomorrow morning from them. Trading post is good at procuring though, and even during the shortage last year the had product.
Oh wow - now I feel badly for not being more loyal and trusting! Peter was my 'salesman' who is great - and very funny. Good to know they are reliable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.