Pellet choices needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a few bags of North American and Hearthsides. So far this year I've been burning just Fireside Ultras and DryCreek.
I'm quite shocked how stinky the North American's are. I mean smell - they really stink.
Maybe this should be a new thread - best smelling pellets or something.
While I'm at it I may as well say the Hearthsides are the nicest smelling I've come across so far.
How do they burn ? No idea...if they burn its pretty good to me.
Maybe JT can add a column to his xls sheets on smell factor. But do we trust him to add that oh so important bit of data ?

I picked up a few bags of North American and Hearthsides. So far this year I've been burning just Fireside Ultras and DryCreek.
I'm quite shocked how stinky the North American's are. I mean smell - they really stink.
Maybe this should be a new thread - best smelling pellets or something.
While I'm at it I may as well say the Hearthsides are the nicest smelling I've come across so far.
How do they burn ? No idea...if they burn its pretty good to me.
Maybe JT can add a column to his xls sheets on smell factor. But do we trust him to add that oh so important bit of data ?
I was pleasantly surprised by the Hearthsides

NA's smelled like crayons to me. The review on the other site had it in the comments. Got heckled for saying it though! Glad you say they stink bad too!

Can you dicribe the smell?

Upon further review the Hearthsides are much better than the Fireside Ultra's or GreenSupreames and at the same price. Burn much cleaner than the others. Still messing around with my air/fuel rates, but the HearthSides are good. Went out to buy another 6 bags to add to the too many that I have already. Wish I did not have the 20 or so bags of the forementioned...

They do smell a little waxy. I heard they're sealed with canola oil wich gives of the odor. I'm burning in my warehouse so no biggy here. They're good for $200. per ton.

So out of these, which lignetics are the good ones and which are the ones to avoid?
Seems this year, the Presto's are doing pretty well. Otherwise, stay away from the blue-lettered bag.

EDIT: Stay away from the upper left bag.

Seems this year, the Presto's are doing pretty well. Otherwise, stay away from the blue-lettered bag.

EDIT: Stay away from the upper left bag.

I'm wondering if they have changed too? I was hoping someone that has them local could try some and report for us. I only have Liggies green and PTL local. Just curious tis all!

Man he never gives me that amount of response guess i should of bought a m-55 :p
Maybe if you add that Empress that your hiding to your signature you might get a better response. :)

I have been happily burning the gs, but the other pellets in my sig so for do have more heat output.

I haven't heard my much about white lightening on this board, but those and cubes will be my go to pellets when the cold comes.

Local hardware has Prestos for get this $7 per bag. I might pull out a coupon and try some, but not going to pay 7 for anything.

Had a guy here today said he burned green supreme with great success last year. this year same stove cant burn them at all clinkers every time
the ones i have are from early last year they arent great but were ok. If they are going backwards Infernos may pass them soon :/

Burning GS since I fired the stove up. Heating 3000 Sq. Ft. assisted by Jotul 602 wood stove. Cab50 is cycling as needed Good heat, Vac once a week I have no complaints for this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.