Pellet Choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
The thread by J-Takeman got me thinking about this post, I didn't want to threadjack his post either so I started a new topic. I have not bought my pellets for the season. Around me in Southern VT there is a wide range of pellet prices, from $209/ton at home Depot (freedom fuel I believe) to $270 at the local mill. I have narrowed it down to 3 options that I think are ok. My problem is that I have burned exactly none of these brands, so I need thoughts. I found a thread on PA pellets that was pretty positive but it was 2 yrs old, so I don't know.

What say you all to these choices:

PA Pellets: $219/ton
O'Malley's: $224/ton
NEWP: $235/ton

I was leaning towards the O'malley's until I found the PA Pellets, now I am not sure again. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

BTU said:
Bigjim13 said:
The thread by J-Takeman got me thinking about this post, I didn't want to threadjack his post either so I started a new topic. I have not bought my pellets for the season. Around me in Southern VT there is a wide range of pellet prices, from $209/ton at home Depot (freedom fuel I believe) to $270 at the local mill. I have narrowed it down to 3 options that I think are ok. My problem is that I have burned exactly none of these brands, so I need thoughts. I found a thread on PA pellets that was pretty positive but it was 2 yrs old, so I don't know.

What say you all to these choices:

PA Pellets: $219/ton
O'Malley's: $224/ton
NEWP: $235/ton

I was leaning towards the O'malley's until I found the PA Pellets, now I am not sure again. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Personally I vote for the Okanagan's......but then again, I'm pretty bias...... :)

Know where I can find them in a 25 mile radius or Poultney, VT? I have yet to see them even once in this area!

Nice pitch, BTU

Out of the 3 you listed NEWP would be my pick. Then the PA but just barely over the O Malley's.

Hopefully BTU can find a dealer with some Okies for you. I would get some if possible for the mid season cold spell. The NEWP'S can handle the 4 rest for you!

I will vote for the Vermont wood pellets. Definitely above average burning, nice and clean too. Less than .3% ash total. You should be able to get them for about the same cost as the NEWP's.

I was planning on going with the VWP but I had heard they raised their prices to like $270/ton. I called them and can pick them up at the mill for $234/ton. I have used them and like them alot and I think that is the way I am going to go!

I have been on the lookout for Okies ever since joining this board about 2 yrs ago, but i have yet to see them in, even sold by the bag, in any of the stores that carry pellets around here.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Bigjim13,

Buying the local pellets is something the members from Maine really believe in. I agree and I would buy local if there was a mill in CT. I think you are doing the right thing on 2 counts. One they are a really good pellet and 2 supporting a locally produced product just seems like a good thing to do!

Bigjim13 said:
I was planning on going with the VWP......... I called them and can pick them up at the mill for $234/ton. I have used them and like them alot and I think that is the way I am going to go!.........

Good choice. :coolsmile:

I have no exp with the PA pellets, The O'malley's are just ok, STAY AWAY from the NEWP's!!! Poop in a bag as far as I'm concerned! but that's just my opinion.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.