pellet cleaning and storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
Last year I built a corn cleaner, as I was burning straight corn. This year it was cheaper to get pellets. I am wondering if I use my corn vac system to remove fines if you think it would be ok to store the cleaned pellets inside of a 55 gallon metal drum in my garage like I did with corn? I am wondering if the pellets not being wrapped in the plastic bags will absorb any moisture from my garage. The garage is unheated but has never gone below 40 degrees. I would clean the corn into the drum and then I have a ball valve under the drum to empty the pellets into a 5 gallon bucket to pour into stove. What are your thoughts?

With changes in temperture, did you get any condensation on the inside of the steel drum?

Kind of like condensation in a gas tank, for which dry gas is used.

Just wondering, not saying.

How long would the pellets be in the drum?

Ranger

I clean all my Pellets even Okies, it just one less hassle of there being any dust and fines, I could not see there would be any problem's with u using the corn vac.

As for storage I would just clean and dump what u needed as you go.

Keep warm!

I don't think I had any condensation in the drum, A full drum would last around 5 days, so they wouldn't actually be in there that long. Think I may give it a try and see what happens. :roll:

I store my pellets in 55 gallon drums that have the locking lids. We have been using them for years to store animal feed and never had any moisture problems. Plus they keep the critters away.

I am going to go out today and clean a drum full i will let you know how it goes.

Storage for a week or two should be no problem at all.

I screen all of our pellets also, even Okanagans.

Let us know . . .

Regards,

Ranger

Just got done screening a drum full took about 20 minutes, they went up the vac as good as the corn did. I am burning Hamers. I should have enough for a week done. I can't think it will be a problem, I'll let ya know next week.

What size are the holes in the screen material you use for this process?

I have the corn vac system, the screen is roughly 1/8" squares. I checked my vac after I was done and there were no pellets in it only dust.

I clean mine using the plans on this site for the home made cleaning system. I literally have the "drop" from the cleaning pipes run right into a 55gal. drum that I cut the top 10% off of. That way it is nice and open and I can run the bags through the cleaner and dump right into the drum for easy scooping. I put plastic over it when not scooping. That lasts just about a week worth of pellets. So its a nice system. Been doing that for about 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.