Pellet / Clinker question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donn Fletcher

Jan 10, 2012
South Western NH
Okay I have a question. I started buning Turman pellets in my Harman XXV. The only other Pellets I've used has been NEWP. Those created a ton of soft fluffy like ash at the edge of the burn pot. Now burning the Turmans I'm getting hard black chunks that don't seem to easily be pushed in to the the ash pan it seems like fresh pellets fall on top of the hard chunks and build up like a wall. My question is does that sound normal for those pellets are those chunks Clingers. What I have been doing is when I see it happening I use the scraping tool to break up the bottom wall.

Donn Fletcher said:
Okay I have a question. I started buning Turman pellets in my Harman XXV. The only other Pellets I've used has been NEWP. Those created a ton of soft fluffy like ash at the edge of the burn pot. Now burning the Turmans I'm getting hard black chunks that don't seem to easily be pushed in to the the ash pan it seems like fresh pellets fall on top of the hard chunks and build up like a wall. My question is does that sound normal for those pellets are those chunks Clingers. What I have been doing is when I see it happening I use the scraping tool to break up the bottom wall.

I have a different stove but find different brands produce different amounts and texture of ash. With Lignetics I get soft fluffy ash, with Somersets I get the black chunky ash you describe for Turman pellets. Overnight with Somersets I get less volume of ash, something like a birds nest about the consistency of burnt toast. I believe the Somersets put out more heat but find both acceptable.

Oak pellets have a heavier ash than most other hardwoods. As long as it isn't big chunks of rock hard and in some cases shiny? I'd just give it a quick swipe once a day.

You could try lowering the feed rate a little, But you might loose some heat. There are a couple of Harman owners that are burning Turmans on the board. Hopefully they chime in for you. newf lover is one member I know of, You could send her a PM.

I've had the exact same experience burning Turmans in my XXV. When burning Oakies, I have almost no burn pot build up, but with Turmans, I get both the hard ash you describe and significantly more hard scaling on the burn pot.

I scrape the burn-pot weekly, FWIW.

Want to try these Oakies I keep hearing about. Anyone from Vermont know where I can get some?

I am burning dry creek now, and they make the same chunky clinkers. I need to clean pot every day and a half. My castile loves oakies but could not get them this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.