Pellet Color

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FredJ

Aug 6, 2006
Does the color of pellets have anything to do with anything? Hardwood vs Softwood or something else? I'm just curious, I picked up a couple of bags and the color is close to white ( I'm use to very dark). They look mini rolls of paper towels for Barbies Doll house. I havent had a chance to burn any yet...

Seems to not make much difference. Blazers (fir) are dark, Lignetics (Idaho pine) are pretty light. Both burn well. The Blazers are supposed to burn a little hotter and smell better IMHO.

FredJ said:
Does the color of pellets have anything to do with anything? Hardwood vs Softwood or something else? I'm just curious, I picked up a couple of bags and the color is close to white ( I'm use to very dark). They look mini rolls of paper towels for Barbies Doll house. I havent had a chance to burn any yet...
From what I've heard the darkness may come from the amount of bark that has been mixed in the the sawdust that is being made into pellets... But these pellets are usually a dark brown and not considered "premium pellets" pellets vary in color alot I've had pinnacle which are very light to new england which are a very light brown. Both are hardwood pellets.
I don't think the color really means too much though if you look at a piece of oak or hard rock maple they are both light in color while mahogany and paduk are dark in color, yet all are considered hardwoods.
The bag should state if they are hardwood or softwood though as well as premium or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.