Pellet coloration...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Basically my question is this, I have burned several different brands of pellets. Some are a deeper, darker color than others. What causes this? Is it the type of wood, hardwood vs. softwood? Or is it something else?

For example: Last year I burned Premiers from TSC, they were fairly dark. This year I burned Maine Woods and they were much lighter. Does this tell you anything about quality when looking at them? I'm just curious, still kinda new at this and was thinking about it today while cleaning my stove. Thanks!

BTU said:
Bigjim13 said:
Basically my question is this, I have burned several different brands of pellets. Some are a deeper, darker color than others. What causes this? Is it the type of wood, hardwood vs. softwood? Or is it something else?

For example: Last year I burned Premiers from TSC, they were fairly dark. This year I burned Maine Woods and they were much lighter. Does this tell you anything about quality when looking at them? I'm just curious, still kinda new at this and was thinking about it today while cleaning my stove. Thanks!

The color of the pellet really tells you nothing. There is no way you can just look at a pellet and tell if it's good or not. The dark color could be caused by bark or simply the species of wood...You HAVE to burn a pellet to see how good (or not so good) it is ......

Kinda what I figured about quality. Does the color tell you anything?

Bigjim13 said:
Kinda what I figured about quality. Does the color tell you anything?

Been listening and listening and still have not heard the pellets say anything. The voices in my head, on the other hand...

generally I find lighter colored pellets to burn better, but it is not set in stone: I had a lady burning freedom fuel (very light in color) and they were junk, burned the okies after the freedom fuel (just as light in color) and 100% improvement. On the other side: Maine woods pellets of a yr or 2 ago were very dark brown (lotsa bark and crap), but this yrs batches are alot lighter (i've been told the are debarking everything, now) and burn alot better. Corinth used to be a lot lighter color and burned OK, this yr alot darker and don't burn clean for beans.
The best thing to do is research and find out where the pellet maker gets their raw material: a maker that has access to good stock (shavings/sawdust from making lumber products, for example) will often make a way better pellet than those that buy their raw stock from all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.