Pellet comparison/one more ton to get me to April.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TJS

Oct 27, 2014
NorthCentral PA
I purchased four tons of Turman pellets to start my 2016-17 burn season. Probably have gone through almost two tons since 10/23/16. I'm going to add one more ton, most likely Turman, which I have been very happy with...is anyone familiar with either Trae Heat; Easy Heat or New England Wood pellets?

None of the other brands you mentioned should be in the same sentence as Turmans. That said, they'll all produce both heat and ash.

Reactions: TJS
NEWPs are ashy and probably lower heat than those Turmans. IMHO, they are a middling pellet but the price is usually for more of a better-than-average pellet. Although I was surprised that an (almost) local shop advertised them last weekend at $249/ton, which would be more in line with what they are worth (They were going for $279 last year). To be fair, I haven't bought any since the fall of 2014 so my info is old.

Turmans are hardwood. Trae is soft wood and NEWPs are blend of hard and soft. The softwoods are easier to auto start in some stoves and maybe a better choice for shoulder season. 40lb bag of hardwood is smaller in volume than 40lb bag of softwood with same BTU depending on the wood quality.

Not a lot of good things said about NEWPs these days. Shoulder season you can burn anything with lots of ash requiring more frequent cleaning.

You typically get what you pay for.

http://www.woodpelletreviews.com/new-england-wood-pellets.html

http://woodpelletreviews.com/5699-trae-heat-wood-pellets.html

Reactions: TJS and bogieb
Southern States "Statesman" or Hamers Premium Hardwood Pellets both work good in my old stove. I've tried some others, too much soft wood in them, they foul up my stove. Maybe my next pellet stove will handle a wide variety.

Reactions: TJS and bogieb
As stated by others, New England pellets are crap compared with Turmans......I bought a ton last year for shoulder season and found them to produce lower heat and a great deal of ash compared to the Empire brand pellets (made in Lafargeville, NY) I use for the cold months of winter.

If I could get Turmans here in upstate, NY I would burn them exclusively...