Pellet Data Spreadsheet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
Can any of you folks imbead this spreadsheet in this thread? I dont know how to do that.
I had some time this morning to put this together. Its pellet data from alot of manufactures, showing btu's, ash content, source material, etc, and some things that i dont know what they mean. If you have more data, add to it and re upload it. Craig you can Wiki This info if you like.
I dont know what BD or FC mean.

sorry i cant uplaod XLS files,
Darn.
Help? what now? Folks look back later for the data.

MSG) This is a screen pic of it, you can always take a screen shot and upload.

OR, the wiki will take uploads of XLS and many other types, so you can do a little article there, then link it from here. At least that way it will be available forever....Ed.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    30 KB · Views: 920
The website will only take image files. Wish it could take PDFs too, but it can't. As an alternative, you could do a screen capture of the spreadsheet page. Set the spreadsheet up so that the data fills the monitor (zoom in if necessary) then hit the PrtScr (print screen) button. That should copy the screen into Window clipboard. You can then open Photoshop or MS Paint and paste the image in, crop if needed, and save as a jpeg.

PDF's can be uploaded in the wiki either just by themselves (imagine upload) or preferably as part of a wiki entry. Then you can also place a link here to the image itself or wiki----let me see how the links are treated.......

[[File:107upland.jpg]]

[[Image:107upland.jpg]]

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/File:107upland.jpg/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/File:darbydarby.pdf/

OK, so for now, you must cut and paste the full URL from the address bar as per the last two.

The first two work in the wiki, but not here...let me see if there is any way it can work here....

Cross posted. That works,good info. It would be nice to add Western Oregon Wood Products - WOW pellets - Blazers and HotShots.
http://www.wowpellets.com/p_pellets.shtml

BLAZER®/HOT SHOTS®
BTU Value "8500-8900
ASH 0.2%-0.3%
DENSITY 43#'s/ft3 min
DIAMETER 1/4
FINES 0.3%
MOISTURE 6%
MATERIAL 100% softwood

And locally Manke started selling CleanBurn last year. I see them in a lot of stores now.
http://cleanburnfuel.com/index.html

I cant take screen shots here at work. Thanks for posting that. To bad the spreadsheet cant be modified and edited within this post, i guess thats what the wiki is for.

Looks like spreadsheets can be posted to the Wiki. I just did a test. What I'm not sure is who has rights for updating. Craig, how would this work?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/File:test.xls/

The download link is just below the google ads. It's kind of hard to find at first. There need to be more white space between the google ads and the word "Download"

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ptQY7eLLktgArkmhyKEh-Rg

The new world of spreadsheets will be similar to google spreadsheets where you can create, import and then share. I can even invite others to update, etc. - BUT, they must have Google Accounts.

The end of "Office" is near, as you can do word processing and spreadsheets online for free with google....and you can have other people working on same document, etc.

So, BeGreen, the only want someone could update that spreadsheet is to download it, work on it, and then upload again to wiki with the same name. I think the Google model beats that, because it can be displayed also to those who are not working with it.

Great suggestion Craig! There were some complaints about Google spredsheets being slow, so I was waiting for the bugs to be worked out first. But for this simple application it should be fine.

I think anyone can sign up for a google account, but if not, I can "invite" anyone to get a gmail account, and then that same account is a login for all the other services - and there are a LOT.

They have a calendar, to-do list, notes, all that stuff - and you can get to it from anywhere, so it beats having it on your home computer.

So, if anyone wants a gmail account, PM me.

I just signed up for a Google account. Quick and easy. No need for GMail to get access to the Writley product - spreadsheet, word processing. But one can add services easily.

MSG, I'd be happy to Twiki this for you if you'd like. I think it would be good to add the manufacturer's location and product name to the sheet. Other thoughts?

BeGreen said:
I just signed up for a Google account. Quick and easy. No need for GMail to get access to the Writley product - spreadsheet, word processing. But one can add services easily.

So, do you have a username or something I can put in to allow you to collaborate on it? I'll try putting your regular email into it...

BeGreen said:
MSG, I'd be happy to Twiki this for you if you'd like. I think it would be good to add the manufacturer's location and product name to the sheet. Other thoughts?

Go for it! i have more data if needed.

I have google accouts to give out too if needed. PM if craig runs out.
I used open office to make that. I havent had micro office in years.

I made the spreadsheet off of the data i posed in my last post. If you want my spreadsheet give me your email and i will send it.

MSG, great thread, great links and great information. Thank you very much. Now if I only knew what BD Lbs, FC and SC meant, I'd be able to make heads or tails of the info. ;)

Russ

BD=bag density in lbs/cu.ft. FC = Fines count, SC = Sodium Count. I've picked up on MSG's great lead and have updated the sheet with 2005 data. But there are probably newer companies still not in the data. If you know of any, send them to me and I'll add them. For now, here is the updated info. I'll be posting it in the Wiki shortly.

Attachments

• pellet_info.jpg
    pellet_info.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 634
Webmaster said:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ptQY7eLLktgArkmhyKEh-Rg

The new world of spreadsheets will be similar to google spreadsheets where you can create, import and then share. I can even invite others to update, etc. - BUT, they must have Google Accounts.

The end of "Office" is near, as you can do word processing and spreadsheets online for free with google....and you can have other people working on same document, etc.

So, BeGreen, the only want someone could update that spreadsheet is to download it, work on it, and then upload again to wiki with the same name. I think the Google model beats that, because it can be displayed also to those who are not working with it.

Great idea, is there a way to share the spreadsheet so that anyone can add entries or make corrections?

BG, thanks for the tutorial. Great work MSG & BG.

Now for the real dumb questions. Since sodium count is a column all to itself, I'm assuming there is a relevance to the quality of the pellet. What might that be?

For the most part, it seems that the softwoods produce more BTU's. Does it also stand to reason that the softwoods don't burn as long as the hardwoods? In other words, is there a tradeoff for burn time vs BTU's? Is one more favorable than the other?

Diameter and length are 'supposedly' not important ;) . Is it true for pellets? :)

swimmer

masterswimmer said:
BG, thanks for the tutorial. Great work MSG & BG.

Now for the real dumb questions. Since sodium count is a column all to itself, I'm assuming there is a relevance to the quality of the pellet. What might that be?

For the most part, it seems that the softwoods produce more BTU's. Does it also stand to reason that the softwoods don't burn as long as the hardwoods? In other words, is there a tradeoff for burn time vs BTU's? Is one more favorable than the other?

Diameter and length are 'supposedly' not important ;) . Is it true for pellets? :)

swimmer

Salt can be corrosive, so a lower count is preferable. A high count may be indicative of logs that have been in salt water. Softwoods/hardwoods burn at the rate set for the stove. In general softwoods make good pellets. I'd say that low fines, low sodium and ash content are preferable attributes. It's really hard to judge the difference in heat output. A pellet with good qualities means cleaner glass and less frequent ash cleaning. I included the length in case one's particular stove is sensitive to bridging. Generally this isn't an issue with a shorter pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.