Pellet Delivery Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
I would love your feeback on this one. I just purchased 5 tons of pellets at a store 35 miles away from my home. (good deal which is why I traveled so far) I have the option of picking them up myself in my Ford F350 which would require multiple trips I would guess or have them deliver and stack for 150.00. What do you guys think? How many tons can you get in a F350 with an 8 ft bed?

Putting 2 tons on the F350 would be pushing it. I would say 1 and 1/2 tons max per load. I can safely haul 1 ton with my F150 no problem. But no more than that.

Best to be safe and not over work the truck.

$150.00 for delivery and stacking( dropping in the driveway) is a fair deal. If they are going all out and putting them in the garage or basement is even better. Thats only $30.00 a ton.

Take the $249 for pellets and $30.00 for delivery and add them to get $279 for Lignetics. Is still a good deal. I am paying $289/ton and doing my own hauling.

jay

If you have a hitch for your F-350, you could rent a U-haul 6'x12' open trailer which holds a ton, and also put a ton in the back of the truck = 2 trips w/ the trailer & 1 trip just the truck. Trailer should cost you about $25-30 for the day.

BUT.......then you have to do all the unloading yourself. 5 tons is a LOT to hand unload & stack in 1 day.

I say, see if you can work him down on the delivery price to $125, and have them do all the work w/ a forklift....or do they hand unload & stack? (that's worth $25/ton to me, especially if it's hot & humid out) :-/

Some of the answer depends on the weight rating of your truck. I have a dually and don't think twice about putting 2 tons in the bed. The weight just doesn't seem to bother it. If it were me I would probably put in 2.5 tons and make 2 trips. Whats it cost to run your truck 140 miles. Got to figure in your time also. Where are you getting pellets? I'm from central Jersey also and would like to have another supplier. Do you mind sharing where your getting them.

David

shes got the blue oval up front!! pile 'em on and drive 'em home!! I saw a guy w/ a 350 single axle take 2 ata time... i can put 1.5 tons on my F250 HD and she takes it fine... its only if its got a bad bowtie on the grille that cha gotta worry about the springs snappin!!! :lol:

Doesn't matter what grill emblem you got, a one ton truck is a one ton truck. If the guys with the blue lights see you with more than one skid in the bed, you're at their mercy. Rent the biggest trailer you can.

Found on rack daily
Ford Owners Recommend Dodge
Full Of Rust Deposits
Fancy Oil Recycling Device
Found On Rubbish Dump
Frequent Overhaul, Rapid Depreciation
F***ing Old Rebuilt Dodge
First On Recall Day
First On Rust and Deterioration
Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road, Dead
Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Fault Of R & D

no pane said:
Found on rack daily
Ford Owners Recommend Dodge
Full Of Rust Deposits
Fancy Oil Recycling Device
Found On Rubbish Dump
Frequent Overhaul, Rapid Depreciation
F***ing Old Rebuilt Dodge
First On Recall Day
First On Rust and Deterioration
Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road, Dead
Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Fault Of R & D

i have not spent as much time thinking of how to call crap, well, crap, but here we go:

chevy's best car was the NOVA cause it' describes GM well: in spanish it translates as "no go"
GMC: General Mess of Crap
GMC: G^% Mans Chariot
Q: why'd they make the tie the chevy's emblem? A: when you get buried, you gotta have one on...

hahaha :coolsmirk: i was hopin someone would chime in on that one! its hard to play favorites with trucks without gettin it goin!

HalfwittingLEE said:
My F350 weighs in at 5600 and has GVW of 9900. Thats 4300 net payload. Go for it and haul it.

the blue oval has mystical powers, use it like the force: remember when luke couldn't lift the x wing figher out of the mud? and yoda lifted it out and luke was like " i tried" and yoda said "no, you did not do"... take the other guys advice, rent a trailer, but put two on the back and three in tow and go to work... your ford is like yoda. it will do.

I really think it was

First On Race Day

hehehe!

I'll push my Ford for I drive a General Mess!

I agree with Souzafone. Got to go with the GVW. and don't for get to take off Your wieght too! They will weight it with you in it. If Your over you will pay more than taking the extra trip!

summit said:
i have not spent as much time thinking of how to call crap, well, crap, but here we go:
me either, took about 30 secs to do an internet search, copy and paste.
Just thought I'd jump in on the mindless debate. :lol:

I would pay the $150 and try to haggle a little to get them down to $125. It is worth a try trying to get a better deal. I know I would pay $150 just to save my back from moving all those pellets.

It can back breaking to move these things yourself but I picked up 2 ton over the weekend, hand loaded into my truck/trailer. I was glad I did it because several bags were broken open and I was able to get replacements before I left the place; -just something to consider; could save you a trip.

For what you'll burn in time and gas in making 3 trips there, the price to have it delivered is very good. It takes me about an hour a ton to get it out of my front yard and into my basement (down a hill around back and into a half door). I have an F250 HD that takes a ton no problem. Remember, its not about breaking springs, its about stopping the truck when the dipsh.. on the cell phone cuts you off. The brakes arent designed to stop an aircraft carrier, even though the bed and springs say otherwise. Be safe, its not worth busting your ass to do what they'll do for $30 a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.