Pellet Door Gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Does one really need to buy the expensive manufacture door gasket, or can you just use the general stove store gasket material? Stove in question is a free standing Quad Castile. Seems like yearly maint to do the door gasket, I was just wondering if the 10 buck gasket and glue would work just as well if not better. Can you glue this cheaper one to the ceramic, or is that the issue? The Quad one hooks into the frame on bars. Thanks all.

Why are you replacing the gasket? Is your Castille gasket failing annually? Our 1200i gasket was fine after 5 years.

Hi Be green I think the gasket on my 1200 freestanding needs to be replaced. Everytime I clean the stove I lose little pieces of it. Is it a dealer item? and how do you do it?

It's been a few years since I had the 1200i, but from what I remember, it looked like standard rope gasket. jtp10181 can you help Steve here?

Been the third year and that many gaskets if I replace the one now. They just seem to fray and come a part.

Something is wrong, I cleaned the stove once every 2 weeks for 5 years and the gasket was still in good shape when I sold it. What is it rubbing against that would fray it so quickly? Check the mating edge. Is it sharp or rough? Are there any burrs on it? If yes, take a file and dress it down until smooth.

Thanks Be. The gasket was stock Quad last year, the guys at the shop said a year is pretty normal under heavy use? I did sand the mating edges when I replaced last year. The one I have now is fraying by the door latch and at the ends, at the advice of the stove shop I cut the corners last year, I won't do that again. I noticed that the gasket rope at the box store is impregnated with graphite and Quads was not. Does that make a difference? The box store rope is 7 bucks, the Quad one is 30-40 bucks. The only difference would be how it attaches to the stove, the rope would get glued to the glass, the Quad one clamps in at the edges under bars, more machanical, no glue.

Hi,
Just thought I would offer a possible cause of the gasket fraying...I read in another post this fall about glass cleaners causing the degredation. We clean our glass daily and it leaks down onto the gasket (exactly where it is fraying). It was recommended to spray the cleaner onto a papertowel to contain the product and limit contact to just the glass.

We are also in need of replacing the gasket. I have not priced the tadpole gasket anywhere else but our local dealer for 45.00.
We just keep compressing it back together before closing the door.

Does anyone have a less expensive option????

Good advice PA, will do from now on. I did just buy the big box gasket rope ($7.50 for the kit) and glued it directly to the glass with the enclosed glue, it has been working fine. Not sure how easy it will be to replace next time around, but I guess I'll find out some day!

Hi Burning chunk...

You will have to ask GotztheHotz about the rope he bought for 7.50 and glued directly.

We broke down and bought the tadpole rope from our Quadrafire dealer. It is 10 feet (good for 2 applications). Our cost was 46.64 after PA taxes so about 23 for the first time. You need to reapply the gasket exactly as you have taken it off. Also, the corners are a little tricky. You must make a small slit to turn the corner. The first slit I made was too big. It started to shread into the gasket as the material is very loosely woven. Our dealer gave us some fireproof tape and I patched it there.

Also one corner ended up being bunched up.... so I would recommend that you place it to have the thick part lay smooth, then bend the tadpole flaps down.

I checked the bag it came in and was unable to find the measurements of the gasket. I just measured ours and the gasket itself is 5/8" and the attached tadpole flap is 7/8" wide with a removable strip over the adhesive area.

I would recommend getting the fireproof tape (if you can) to prevent shredding at the top ends.

It's a dirty process...I would also recommend vinyl gloves if you have them!!!! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.