Pellet exchange question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twojrts

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2010
Bear. DE
Got a question, not sure if ya'll can help or not.

I bought 2 tons of Pike Pellets at HD, in DE, in early Oct. Turns out, I have had nothing but problems with a brand new Flame FP 35 stove. I am sure the pellets have toooo much moisture in them. In 2 months use, 24/7, chimney was totally clogged up!

Just called HD and they now have Winter Warmth and Presto Logs (Premium Pellets, Hard Wood Conifer Saw Dust). The guy said they are both much better grade than I have now.

He said return the Pike Pellets and he will replace them with Either of the two above. There is no information on the Winter Warmth bags. The info in () on the Presto Logs is on those bags. If I remember correctly, WW got good reviews from ya'll up north.

Has anyone heard of the Presto Logs pellets?

Thanks much!

twojrts said:

I bought 2 tons of Pike Pellets at HD, in DE, in early Oct. Turns out, I have had nothing but problems with a brand new Flame FP 35 stove. I am sure the pellets have toooo much moisture in them. In 2 months use, 24/7, chimney was totally clogged up!

Just called HD and they now have Winter Warmth and Presto Logs (Premium Pellets, Hard Wood Conifer Saw Dust). The guy said they are both much better grade than I have now.

He said return the Pike Pellets and he will replace them with Either of the two above. There is no information on the Winter Warmth bags. The info in () on the Presto Logs is on those bags. If I remember correctly, WW got good reviews from ya'll up north.

Thanks much!

I have tried the Pres-to-Log pellets with orange front on the bag. They have caused way too much clinkering (new word?) for my tastes. They seemed to burn better on higher settings, but the entire wear plate in burnpot was covered by a half inch thick solid mass. Now there may be different batches from different mills, etc. I won't buy them again this season.

Panhandler said:
twojrts said:

Thanks much!

I have tried the Pres-to-Log pellets with orange front on the bag. They have caused way too much clinkering (new word?) for my tastes. They seemed to burn better on higher settings, but the entire wear plate in burnpot was covered by a half inch thick solid mass. Now there may be different batches from different mills, etc. I won't buy them again this season.

Forgot to add, see if they will let you try a couple bags of each before you commit to a full ton or tons.

Thank You, Panhandler!!

I already have clinkers and creosote. Too much to be certain! I tried to contact Pike, but they have one of those phone systems where you NEVER get to speak to a real person.

I liked the Pres-to-logs pellets when our HD had them.

They are made by Lignetics. I liked them MUCH better than the Lignetics branded pellets.

I've since bought 3 tons of Turman from a local dealer and I love them. I tried to find Cubex but the dealer (a different one than the one I bought the Turman from) wanted 320/ton plus $115 delivery for 1-3 tons. Crazy!

--glen

I used the winter warmth and liked the few bags I burned very much. Be sure to at least try them and measure the heat..

Schoondog

Or you could spend more money per ton, maybe buy pellets from a hearth shop ::Gasp:: and save yourself a whole lot of trouble.

oldmoose said:
I liked the Pres-to-logs pellets when our HD had them.

They are made by Lignetics. I liked them MUCH better than the Lignetics branded pellets.

I've since bought 3 tons of Turman from a local dealer and I love them. I tried to find Cubex but the dealer (a different one than the one I bought the Turman from) wanted 320/ton plus $115 delivery for 1-3 tons. Crazy!

--glen

Where'd you pick up the Turman's?

PRO LAWN SUPPLY INC in Worcester. Last I heard they were low, or out of them.

They had Corinth and possibly other brands too.

--glen

twojrts said:
.....Just called HD and they now have Winter Warmth and Presto Logs (Premium Pellets, Hard Wood Conifer Saw Dust). The guy said they are both much better grade than I have now.

Thanks much!

Before you return the pellets, do as Panhandler suggests and just go buy 2-3 bags each of the Presto-Logs and the WW. I burned the Presto-Logs and liked them...no clinkers at all, and I've heard good things about the WW.

Burn them in your stove after you give it a REALLY good cleaning (firebox, burn pot, ash traps, heat exchangers, blowers, pipe, etc, etc), and THEN decide which you like better. And if they seem similar, swap for a ton of each......every stove and install is different.

What's to say a hearth shop has better pellets? LOL, from what all I'm reading here. They are good and bad everywhere!

Will try a couple bags of both the Presto and WW's. AFTER the stove gets cleaned good.

Thanks so much everyone. I'm learning....slow but sure!

i"m not sure if this will help but you can check for moisture in your pellets by putting a handfull in a dish and covering that dish with another one of the same size and put them in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds remove from the microwave take the top dish off and look for condensation on the dish their should be little to no moisture in the dish. got this info from an englander tech

86 toy,

just did that and the entire dish is moist!!!

Wow, what a kewl trick!

I can see me now, looking for hand fulls of pellets to check before I buy them! Hey, might save a lot of aggrivation!

Thank You!!

Status
Not open for further replies.