Pellet exhaust into chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PutnamJct

Feeling the Heat
Could not get pellet stove to fire due to the exhaust being plugged up. Quad 1200i in a brick/masonry chimney installed 4 years ago.
Disconnected flex pipe where it connects to stove and it was full of wet ash. Chimney clear all the way up and there is a cap on it (flat on top, screen around sides approx 10"X14").

Connected to the stove is 15 or 16 feet of flex steel tube going more or less straight up the chimney. Has one minor bend where it passes through flue. Tube just ends and I suspect water ran down the inside of chimney during a recent heavy rain storm and down into to the flex tube. Chimney is at least 30 feet high so tubing must be just leaning against one side of the chimney.

My question is whether or not this a legit way to exhaust the stove? Has worked fine for years, but that doesn't make it right.

Thanks in Advance!

We exhaust to the chimney in the basement where the pellet stove is. What is different than your situation is that regular sized stainless goes up the chimney and the pellet pipe is hooked to it with a tee,out to the stove. Water,if there is any, falls to the bottom of the chimney.

Many people do it that way, but the proper way is to run the liner all the way to the top and install a proper pellet cap on it.

I have seen the flex tubes run all the way up and then through a cap plate on top of the chimney.
I seen block off plates installed in the lower part of the chimney just above the damper or the damper removed and a bllock off plate installed.

I have seen pellet pipe run all the way up to the chimney crown and though a cap plate and then the pipe fitted with a regular pellet pipe rain cap.

The biggy is to make sure that the exhaust is sealed so the room air fans can't pull exhaust gasses back into the stove and into the room.

Inside of a suitable and stable chimney there are many SAFE options.

The big issue is of course making sure that you dont get CO being pulled into the room.

Best

Snowy

I always use a 4" (YES 4") liner all the way up to a top plate and cap when venting into a block chimney. You do have to clean the flex pipe once a year.

Eric

pete324rocket said:
We exhaust to the chimney in the basement where the pellet stove is. What is different than your situation is that regular sized stainless goes up the chimney and the pellet pipe is hooked to it with a tee,out to the stove. Water,if there is any, falls to the bottom of the chimney.
bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.