pellet feed issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Having a problem with pellets not dropping into the feed auger. New Quadrafire CB 1200. Recently pellets seem to be sticking together just above the auger. Been having issues with stove going out while still calling for heat. Think I have narrowed it down to the auger/feed adjustment plate. When it stops feeding, if I move the adjustment plate, I can hear pellets drop into the auger. Seems they are packing together and forming a bridge just above the opening. After I move the plate and pellets drop, it will run as expected. Sometimes will go for a couple of days before it happens again. Usually run with plate open more than half so don't think I have it shut down to far.
Only started happening when I switched to Vermont pellets. Is it possible that the softwood pellets are more prone to this? Or is this possibly a design flaw? Any ideas?

Pellets are fairly uniform at 3/8 to 3/4". Seem to be much more uniform than the other brands I have tried and the other brands did not do this.

One thought: I have been trying out pellets so I have been buying 5-10 bags of different brands. For the Vermonts I go right to the mill (10 miles away) and get them from the floor right after they have been bagged. Is it possible that because they are so "fresh" that they might tend to stick a little?

You might be onto something. I know when they come out of the mill they will stick together until cooled. I would think by the time they are bagged and hauled home this would not be an issue.

What setting are you running on?

Have you thought about running on a lower setting and keeping the feed plate open more?

I normally run on Low with feed plate wide open. Only had shut downs with pellets that were 2.5"-3" long (AWF's). If I run on Med (temps below 10*) I put feed plate about 25% closed (or 3/4 open).

Thats my take on it. Just added a Pellet furnace and Woodstove to my arsenal. But the last 3 yrs I used just the CB 1200 alone. Learned a lot through trial and error. I normally run 24/7 on Low unless the temps dip. If your using a T-stat and a Low feed plate setting, it may have problems starting (low pellet feed ) and with to few pellets to burn pot.

Generally run on medium, switch to high for about 15 min each day. Have had another issue that is possibly related. Have had stove shut down, looked in hopper and still had quite a few pellets (about 1 gallon) hung up on each side of the auger opening.
Quadrafire customer service says it is a cleaning issue. I do not beleive that as I vaccum, brush at least twice a week and do a full clean every weekend. I even clean, wipe down the hopper and vaccum auger to get all fines out.
Really starting to believe this is a design flaw in the hopper/delivery system.
Any other Quad users have this issue?
Stove is brand new this October so maybe they changed the design? Have had a couple of other issues with snap disks, thermostat.
Really beginning to rethink the purchase.

Head on out to the local hardware store and pick up a can of spray graphite. Spray it in the hopper to provide and little "slippery" to the sides of the hopper. You also may want to take a peek down into the hopper to see if mistakenly you dropper a bunch of fines (dust) into the hopper. The fines do not feed through the system and can obstruct the feed opening. Another mention, with your restriction plate, pull it wide open and run the stove for awhile. See if you get a steady feed with the gate open then try and close it up a bit or lower your heat setting from the run switch.

Did a cleaning today and the bottom of the auger was full of fines. That after only 5 bags of Vermont pellets. Seems like a bit much. Did not have this issue when running hardwood. Is this common with the softwood pellets?
Trying a few bags of Turmans, doesn't seem to be nearly as much dust. Gone for most of the afternoon and unit was still running when I got back.
After that going to try Curan. Any thoughts?

Curan is not a good pellet? Only reason I was going to try was the price ($235 a ton - 5.00 per bag). Still working my way through pellet brands that are available.

rparker said:
Curan is not a good pellet? Only reason I was going to try was the price ($235 a ton - 5.00 per bag). Still working my way through pellet brands that are available.

I have had good results with Curran's pellets.

Horrible pellets. I bought 6 bags a while back.

Returned 5 to the store.

Thanks for the info. Still learnig.

Curan makes 3 different kinds of pellets, a blend of hard and soft wood, a 100% hardwood, and a 100% softwood.

ISTR that at least one of them was somewhat decent.

Which ones are you folks talking about?

So far: on second bag of Turmans. Have not had a pellet "bridging" issue and a lot less fines. Salesperson at stove shop said 2 other customers have also had same issue with Vermonts. Also these same customers have the Quad CB1200. Think this particular stove just dosen't like them.

If the fines are going to be an issue for your stove, then you might consider building yourself a shop-vac powered pellet-sifter? Probably cost you around $20 bucks, not including a shop-vac. It takes just a few minutes per bag and really cuts down on the amount of sawdust in whatever room you fill your stove. Just a thought...

That's the next project.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Curan makes 3 different kinds of pellets, a blend of hard and soft wood, a 100% hardwood, and a 100% softwood.

Mine were the mixed. I think I read the softwoods were good, but I saw these at a hardware store and thought I'd try them.

One thing I also don't like is they cut down and use the entire tree for pellets. With all the quality pellets out there made from waste material, I see no reason to buy a pellet made from trees that were cut down specifically for pellets. I realize wood is a renewable resource, but still.

76brian said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Mine were the mixed. I think I read the softwoods were good, but I saw these at a hardware store and thought I'd try them.

One thing I also don't like is they cut down and use the entire tree for pellets. With all the quality pellets out there made from waste material, I see no reason to buy a pellet made from trees that were cut down specifically for pellets. I realize wood is a renewable resource, but still.

You need to understand that those sawdust waste streams are drying up, the construction industry isn't exactly thriving these days, a number of hardwood pellet makers are having trouble with fiber supply.

If they grew the trees for lumber, and or pulp for paper, then couldn't harvest it because there was no market (No one building houses or making paper). What would you do with the tree. On tree farms, the tree's are planted a certain distance apart. They have to be cut down when they are ready just like wheat has to be reaped. So if they make pellets out of it I would imagine its better than allowing the wood to rot.

Maybe I should edit my statement then: "With all the quality pellets out there made from waste material that are readily available to me, I see no reason to buy a pellet made from trees".

Maybe they are scarce in your area, that's fine, burn what you can get.

You don't have to like it, but I'd rather use waste material. It's just preference. Obviously if I didn't have the recycled brands available to me, I would use what I could get. But for now, to me, the whole point of burning pellets is to be more economical AND environmentally friendly. Mass clearing of trees is not usually environmentally friendly. In some instances it's necessary, I get that, but I'm not keen on trusting companies to be responsible when 99.9% of them are only interested in the bottom line.

Anyways, this is way off topic for this thread.

glad to hear you've got it straightened out rparker.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.