Pellet feeding...or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkeeh

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
NE Ohio
I purchased a Harman p43 in Sept. Did the install myself. The first couple of days the stove would shut down...but I still had about 3gal (best way I can describe the volume) of pellets left in the hopper. They funneled down the center, and seem to stick to the sides of the hopper. A call to the dealer...who although was polite...was not very helpful. Their solution was to rub wax paper on the inside of the hopper. The inside of the hopper was rough.....would have been like trying to wax a sidewalk. I contacted a tech guy at Harman who was familiar with the problem.....lets just say he was less than helpful. He said I bought low grade pellets and that was the problem. I ended up spending a couple of hours with a detail sander......thorough cleaning..then several coats of paste wax. It worked well. The stove would feed all but a couple cups of pellets.
After about 50 or so bags.....Im back to the same problem. I assume Ill have to clean and rewax. Whats up with this???? Ive used 2 different brands of pellets..all seem relatively uniform with not too many fines. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I destined to have to rewax the hopper every ton???? Sorry for the long post. I guess for a $3K stove I expected 1) it should work as designed, gravity feed in not rocket science, and 2)) a little more support/help from the dealer/mnfgr. network. Thx for listening.

I have had this issue, the suggestion I receved (from these fine folks) was to use dry graphit. Santa left some in my stocking and I will be trying later this week.

Spray it real good with pledge. Wait a good ten minutes before adding pellets.
About a week later do it again.
I did mine 4 years ago and it worked. The pledge if not wiped off will collect the fine dust and make it stay slick enough.
As long as some idiot doesn't scrub it off.

my Harman Invincible drains all the pellets quite well
never have done anything to it
smooth sheet metal hopper
painted the same as the stove exterior

Status
Not open for further replies.