1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet Fine Quantity When Sifting

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by EastMtn, Jun 14, 2013.

1. EastMtn

EastMtn Member

Loc:
    Tijeras, NM
    I sifted a bag of Tiny T'Embers today to test out this new sifter that I bought for $34. I separated 4 cups of fines from a 40lb bag. Is 4 cups considered excessive, average or, below average? Also, I'm wondering if I need to change the screen size? How does this compare to the size of fines that a pellet funnel vacuum separates?
    sifter6.jpg sifter4.jpg sifter1.jpg sifter2.jpg sifter3.jpg sifter5.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Looks to be more of a corn sifter. The 1/4 inch pieces will burn fine in the stove. Basically with pellets all you want to remove is the saw dust or pieces smaller than about an1/8" long pellet.
    mralias likes this.
  3. EastMtn

EastMtn Member

Loc:
    Tijeras, NM
    It is a dual purpose corn and pellet sifter. There's an extra screen that I would insert for corn. I think I'll tinker with it a bit this weekend now that I know the smaller pieces are still okay to use. Thanks.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Ditto what Jay said.....the pieces you show in your hand can be burned no problem. You need a finer mesh screen....all you want to remove is the fine dust.
  5. EastMtn

EastMtn Member

Loc:
    Tijeras, NM
    A finer mesh set at a steeper angle would probably make the process go alot faster with less of those small pieces being separated. I'll also give Corn Vac with 1 1/2" hose a try for comparison.
  6. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Burn 'em if ya gottem .
  7. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    burn the dust!
  8. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I don't burn pellets (yet, at least) - so excuse the ignorance - but what is the purpose of sifting? Won't everything get burned anyway?
  9. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    For the most part, yes. Some of it gets trapped in the hopper or in the chute that drops the pellets. If that gets clogged, your feed rate will slow way down. Not to mention if you get that much build up its a fire hazard.

I think my desire to not have that much pellet dust is a little OCD. Who knows. Sometimes I think in the winter time I have too much time on my hands and I get a little nutty:)
  10. imacman

imacman Guest

The very fine dust ("fines") can cause some feed augers to slow down or jam on occasion. Harman stoves also have a "fines" box that gets filled and many owners don't know to clean them out.

Personally, my Englander just eats everything that comes out of the bag....I used to sift, but stopped last year. No problems and I dumped quite a few different brands into the hopper last winter.
  11. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    unless you have dust allergies, I suggest just dumping the bag in and burn it all. clean the stove once in a while through and through and you're good to go.
    Eatonpcat likes this.