Pellet Fine Quantity When Sifting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastMtn

Burning Hunk
May 19, 2013
I sifted a bag of Tiny T'Embers today to test out this new sifter that I bought for $34. I separated 4 cups of fines from a 40lb bag. Is 4 cups considered excessive, average or, below average? Also, I'm wondering if I need to change the screen size? How does this compare to the size of fines that a pellet funnel vacuum separates?
sifter6.jpgsifter4.jpgsifter1.jpgsifter2.jpgsifter3.jpgsifter5.jpg

Looks to be more of a corn sifter. The 1/4 inch pieces will burn fine in the stove. Basically with pellets all you want to remove is the saw dust or pieces smaller than about an1/8" long pellet.

Reactions: mralias
It is a dual purpose corn and pellet sifter. There's an extra screen that I would insert for corn. I think I'll tinker with it a bit this weekend now that I know the smaller pieces are still okay to use. Thanks.

Ditto what Jay said.....the pieces you show in your hand can be burned no problem. You need a finer mesh screen....all you want to remove is the fine dust.

Ditto what Jay said.....the pieces you show in your hand can be burned no problem. You need a finer mesh screen....all you want to remove is the fine dust.

A finer mesh set at a steeper angle would probably make the process go alot faster with less of those small pieces being separated. I'll also give Corn Vac with 1 1/2" hose a try for comparison.

I don't burn pellets (yet, at least) - so excuse the ignorance - but what is the purpose of sifting? Won't everything get burned anyway?

For the most part, yes. Some of it gets trapped in the hopper or in the chute that drops the pellets. If that gets clogged, your feed rate will slow way down. Not to mention if you get that much build up its a fire hazard.

I think my desire to not have that much pellet dust is a little OCD. Who knows. Sometimes I think in the winter time I have too much time on my hands and I get a little nutty:)

I don't burn pellets (yet, at least) - so excuse the ignorance - but what is the purpose of sifting? Won't everything get burned anyway?
The very fine dust ("fines") can cause some feed augers to slow down or jam on occasion. Harman stoves also have a "fines" box that gets filled and many owners don't know to clean them out.

Personally, my Englander just eats everything that comes out of the bag....I used to sift, but stopped last year. No problems and I dumped quite a few different brands into the hopper last winter.

unless you have dust allergies, I suggest just dumping the bag in and burn it all. clean the stove once in a while through and through and you're good to go.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.