Pellet First Timer with P61 (Pictures!!!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbojoey

Nov 3, 2010
NEPA
Hi all,

Glad to be a member here!

I purchased and had a Harman P61 non-auto installed about two weeks ago. I live in North East PA and own a small (~1200sq-ft), newer home that is insulated extremely well. The downside to the home is electric heat, therefore I saw myself a perfect candidate for a pellet stove. Due to the layout of the house, I chose the basement (gasp!) as the location for the stove. The basement is a poured foundation, extremely dry and about 2ft above grade, the other 5ft below. I also have 3 ton of pellets stacked in the basement (1 C&C Smith, 2 Energex American). I am glad to have the stove so far, and am currently experimenting with airflow options. As of now, the cellar door is open and the house is comfortably warm! (Stove Temp, Level 4).

Now that you know a little about me and my setup, I hope to learn from you experienced folk and provide input where possible.

-Joe

Welcome aboard

Sounds good and burnem if you got em.

Eric

Hey Joe, Welcome to the forum !!!! Let me start with letting you know that we need (and love to see) pics of new installs, especially of the stove burning !!!!! If not, it didnt actually happen :lol:

I have the big brother to your stove and a very similar setup. Difference is a larger house: 2 floor cape over exact same basemen install.

Dont worry about the manual light stove, as the basement install usually requires a 24/7 burn anyway. Even a low maint burn during the day helps keep things warm up above and you arn't dealing with a recovery tme at night to reheat the basement. Also, the ignitors seem to be Harmon's weak link.

To start, I am cutting in 2 registers this weekend if I can get to it. All last year, I just went with the basement door option and it worked quire well for me. Actually, I took the door right off and now go without it all year.

Insulating the basment walls is a must and that is a project for me this winter as well. People here say it has saved approx 1 ton a season by doing just this. Makes sense too. If you do it (or at least purchase the materials) by the end of this year, it's a ax credit along with your stove.

Play with the settings on the stove a little and see what works best for you...and enjoy the heat !!!!!!

Thank you gbreda! I burn her 24/7 and once the envelope of the house heated up, it is mighty comfy. Actually, last night we closed our bedroom door and when we went out to the hallway this morning, it was warmer than it was in the room! The heat sure is getting up to the second floor no prob.

I received much input from many people as to how/why to get the air moving. It gets to a point where you have to take it with a grain of salt and just try it on your own...thats where I'm at now. Let me know how the registers work for ya. Right now the cellar door is off and its doing a fine job. The floors are warmer as well and they are insulated! Ill go take a pic now.

Joe

Joe - you have great taste in stoves - can't wait to see the pics!

Cheers

Kenny

Here she is!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6555.jpg
    IMG_6555.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_6557.jpg
    IMG_6557.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_6562.jpg
    IMG_6562.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 504
good set up. I don't see a surge protector. If you don't have one, you may want to get one to protect your investment. Don't skimp, you can get a good one for under $40. I lost a few things due to surges in power and it cost me a chunk of change! Lightning surge and the surge when the power comes back on is what fried some of my electronic equipment.
Graduated from The School of Hard Knocks.

Looks Great!!!!!

save$ said:
good set up. I don't see a surge protector. If you don't have one, you may want to get one to protect your investment. Don't skimp, you can get a good one for under $40. I lost a few things due to surges in power and it cost me a chunk of change! Lightning surge and the surge when the power comes back on is what fried some of my electronic equipment.

I have one now!!! Thanks!!!

Turbojoey said:
save$ said:
.... I don't see a surge protector. If you don't have one, you may want to get one to protect your investment. Don't skimp, you can get a good one for under $40. I lost a few things due to surges in power and it cost me a chunk of change! Lightning surge and the surge when the power comes back on is what fried some of my electronic equipment.

I have one now!!! Thanks!!!

Thanks for the pics, and welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear you got the surge protector. Stove looks great, as does that nice big pile of pellets. :)

Enjoy the heat!

Nice setup Joe and Welcome, I''m fairly new myself and learned a great deal hanging around here.

86 toy said:
welcome joey.. i too am from northeast pa.. mifflinville to be exact.. where are you at?

Forty Fort. Across the river from Wilkes-Barre.

And I have a Leviton Dual-Outlet Surge protector keeping an eye on her.

I really am happy with the stove so far...from the heat to even the sweet smell of pellets that makes the home feel cozy. And the biggest relief of all is that my wife is warm!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.