pellet fornace or pellet ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Feb 7, 2012
east central ohio
i have propane forced air home heat. planning an install this summer. would the extra cost of a pellet boiler forced air furnace that can help with DHW be worth the extra cost over a pellet forced air furnace?

how much savings could the pellet boiler save by pre-heating the DHW? i have an electric hot water tank.

i do not have a large home. 1700 sqft ranch. live in Ohio. 4 person family.

the boilers for consideration.
1. Haman. PB105. i feel is too large. $7500
2. Hydroflex60. $5100
3. Maxium. too much $$$ but....$7200.

forced air pellet furnace.

1. harmon PF100 again, a large unit. $5100
2. Fahrenheit 50 $3800
3. st cruix $3800

so the Q is how long would it take to re-cover the approx cost difference?
hence the problem with being greener... the up front costs have got to be considered.

looking fwd to the post's.

jim

Where in Ohio do you live? I have a Fahrenheit that I would be willing to let you see in action?

Having LP, and spending almost $4,000 a yr before I got into pellets and wood heat. I will say, that your recoup cost will depend greatly on the fuel you use and the total amount spent. If you spend $1,000 a yr on fuel it will take much longer. Than if you spend $3,500 a yr.

I only use LP for cooking now. Have an electric Hot water heater. We used to go through 3-4 tanks a yr. I am now at 2.5 yrs on the same tank, and I have about 45% left.

Others can fill you in more on the boiler. I have zero experience. So I cant say whats good or what costs what?

What shops are you getting prices from? I live near the Ashland/Medina area. Little town called Sullivan. There is 2 places I know of that have some Fahrenheit's. One has a used one (last I checked) and the other has a new one and an operational floor model for sale (discounted?).

Good luck.... Welcome to the Forums.

Attachments

• FahrenheitEndurance.jpg
    FahrenheitEndurance.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 241
thanks for the welcome.
i live near Dellroy. south east of canton.
i went to the store today after work and the unit looks good. kid doing the talking couldn't answer the Q's i had. but bottom line was $3800.
i could be interested in the floor unit you talked about. would you have a number or a name on the used units?

still would like to see a Hydroflex60 in action.

seems to me it would be nice and cost effective to pre heat the well water.
even thinking of a large solar water panel on the roof to pre heat the water.
if i could get the water to 80 or 90 deg before the electric water heater it would save 50% of the work the heater.

anyone have an opinion on the hydroflex60?

jim

DexterDay said:
Where in Ohio do you live? I have a Fahrenheit that I would be willing to let you see in action?

Having LP, and spending almost $4,000 a yr before I got into pellets and wood heat. I will say, that your recoup cost will depend greatly on the fuel you use and the total amount spent. If you spend $1,000 a yr on fuel it will take much longer. Than if you spend $3,500 a yr.

I only use LP for cooking now. Have an electric Hot water heater. We used to go through 3-4 tanks a yr. I am now at 2.5 yrs on the same tank, and I have about 45% left.

Others can fill you in more on the boiler. I have zero experience. So I cant say whats good or what costs what?

What shops are you getting prices from? I live near the Ashland/Medina area. Little town called Sullivan. There is 2 places I know of that have some Fahrenheit's. One has a used one (last I checked) and the other has a new one and an operational floor model for sale (discounted?).

oops, forgot to ask the size, and style of your home? do you only use your pellet furnace for the heat? are you generally happy with the unit? service? and any complaints? and would you buy the same unit today?

thank you.

jim

steelman said:
DexterDay said:

oops, forgot to ask the size, and style of your home? do you only use your pellet furnace for the heat? are you generally happy with the unit? service? and any complaints? and would you buy the same unit today?

thank you.

jim

I live in a Ranch home w/ full basement. Upstairs is 2,180 sq and downstairs is 2,180 sq. Although the basement is pretty much unheated, except the portion you see in pic (little more behind where I am standing) which is about 800 sq.

So its about 3,000 total heated. Up till this season, I had just the Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 upstairs. So the furnace and my woodstove are in there 1st year of use. I mainly use the Fahrenheit to heat the house. If its about 35° or up, I use the Quad. I have used the furnace without the wood stove, but 90% of the time, I have it Crankin in the basement. I can get it scorching downstairs, so the Fahrenheits efficiency is boosted by the hot air from the woodstove.

The furnace is never on anything higher than level 3 (on a stat) and most times. It stays on level 1 (pilot/maintenance burn). Its always generating heat. So it heats up to my set point of 175°, then kicks on (10 min) till it cools to the next set point 110°… The fan is always kicking on and off. So even when the stat is satisfied, you are getting some heat. Which causes the house to not lose heat as fast. Which means the stat will stay satisfied longer.

The furnace has a self cleaning pot. On premium pellet setting, it auto cleans every 9 hrs. So you start fresh. Only downside to that, is the furnace ramps up to level 5 for about 30 (entire process). So if the temp is already 73°, then its gonna jump a few more. In my case about 3°-4°…

I love the furnace. Im only using half of the ducts in my house. Split up in 2 main trunks, that all registers feed off of. I feed into just one. It feeds the bathrooms (2), bedrooms (3), and kitchen (2). Our master bedroom is fed through the register in our bathroom. So all rooms get have a register, except the Family room (but its basically the same room as kitchen), Dining room (Quadrafire pellet stove room), and Living room.

If I had to buy new (mine was used 1 season by previous owner), I would look really hard at the St. Croix Revolution. Its 70,000 BTU's, but has a cleaning system that I think is superior (I think, never operated one. But it reads better and doesn't need Level 5 blasting to do it). The Harman PF-100 is the Cadillac of Forced air pellet furnaces. So its a good candidate also.

But I do use wood to supplement. It has saved me quite a few pellets already. I used about 4.5 ton last year with just my Quadrafire (4 tons in prior yrs). This yr I have used about 70 bags to date. I may stay around the 2 ton mark. Granted it has been a warm Winter. But the 2 cord of wood I have burned has probably saved me almost a ton of pellets. Above 45° I can get by with just wood heat and Zero pellets.

Offer still stands. Its a lot farther drive than I thought it would be. But.........

The dealers are Kinsman stoves (forum memeber), he had a used one (had?). And then the dealer for my stove has a new one and I am pretty sure there floor model is for sale. But even there new one might be cheaper than $3,800. I can throw in a good word for you. They are getting out of selling stoves and selling off there inventory. I have to look there # up. But will PM you the info tomorrow. If I dont send it by the evening, send me a reminder.

Hope some of this helps...... Good luck.

thank you for the info.
your right its been a mild winter for sure. i think we will get by with less than $800 in propane and about 2 cords of wood. last winter shocked us on the cost of propane so this will be the last year we use propane in any manner other than back up heat.
i do plan on burning cord wood on a regular bases in conjunction with the pellet furnace or boiler. even though pellets are as cheap as natural gas you can still save money burning your own wood. besides my 10 acres is over grown so we should have enough wood for a couple years to help the pellet heat when needed.
sure would like to heat my DHW with the pellet option. maybe going the pellet furnace and investing in some kind of solar DHW pre heat would be a more cost effective choice over the added cost of a pellet boiler.
options are a good thing.
i have down loaded the St Cruix manual just haven't had time to read it. i will consider it as well as other.
the information from your self and other members is of great help and im sure will continue to be.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.