Pellet Fuel Instiute label?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to be a PFI member. Have their pellets indipendently tested every so often, and adhere to other standards of the PFI. You can find the additional information at their site www.pelletheat.org

Good question, but I don't think the PFI covers corn. It appears to be mostly concentrated on Wood pellet fuel.

The crappy Maine Woods that I had (returned) said "PFI Certified". No label though.

But, they are listed as a member on the PFI site.

So, I have found pellets with corn in them and actual pieces of corn in a particular brand of pellets. The bags do bear the PFI label, which states wood. My stove and vent pipe are not rated to burn corn. What should I do?

I guess I should have mentioned that the standards were only approved this year. The PFI is working on compliance throughout 2009. They expect the 2010 be the year for mills to be up-to-speed with the compliance. For now, there is no enforcement, only the honor system for mills.

If possible return the pellets for pure premium pellets. The PFI does recognize multiple grades of pellets, but I would only buy premium myself. The vendor where you bought them should take them back or exchange them for all wood pellet "premium" fuel. You could get hardwood or softwood but make sure they are premium pellets. I would think that if your finding corn in the bags with the pellets, then they don't truely meet the PFI standards.

The bags do say premium on them. Interesting, these pellets were just exchanged last Saturday, by the manufacturing company, due to signifcant ash and clinker problems with original pellets I had purchased. Supposedly these pellets were just made last week! Ok, back to the company I go!

Wow, Jen, that's tough - I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. And I am disappointed to hear that the PFI label is an honor system thing !! That means it means absolutely nothing.

I find that even trashy pellets say premium. Again, that seems to mean little. I use Energex pellets - consistent, short length (not like pretzels), VERY low ash, softwood pellets. They are not hard to find around here (at least not when I last looked in the spring). They are not the cheapest but I think they are among the safest and best. Just an idea.....

newpelletstove said:
Wow, Jen, that's tough - I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. And I am disappointed to hear that the PFI label is an honor system thing !! That means it means absolutely nothing.

I find that even trashy pellets say premium. Again, that seems to mean little. I use Energex pellets - consistent, short length (not like pretzels), VERY low ash, softwood pellets. They are not hard to find around here (at least not when I last looked in the spring). They are not the cheapest but I think they are among the safest and best. Just an idea.....

Thanks for the suggestion. So, far, I have not seen that brand around here. But next year I will be looking hard at getting some of the better pellets that I have seen on this site.

I don't want anyone to take my post the wrong way when I said "honor system". I am very pro PFI and pro standards for the pellets. Its just that it takes time for them to get the whole standards and compliance system in place. You could always contact them with your complaints just so its on record. Eventually once the system is in place, the pellet manufacturers that are members will need to keep up the specifications that are considered the standards. Also, contacting the pellet manufacturer directly may get action also. Eventually having the PFI logo will mean you should be able to trust that you are getting a quality and consistent product. Until then, you just need to be careful and try a few bags of a brand before you jump into buying a ton or more.

The honor system things does explain a lot though. My Maine Woods (Athens) bags said Premium, no PFI stamp, and were in no way premium. The company has since admited to using scrap wood in their pellets. I also have a ton of this years Corinth Hardwood pellets all with the PFI "Guarantee" that are also awful. I recent thread on hear suggests these companies are trying to clean things up, but they have done a lot of damage to themselves putting out a subpar product. The only reason I see anybody burning any pellet made in Maine is becuase they cant find anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.