Pellet Furnace acting up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Sep 20, 2011
Up State NY
Hello all I need help with my Furnace I'm getting the number 2 flashing error code on St Croix Revolution furnace. It only happens on real cold nights. The furnace will run great during the day but at night when temperature drops below ten outside the furnace will go into error code number 2. I have set it on Manual mode program # 3 heat level 5 (it's cold out). I read the manual it says a vacuum problem but the stove is clean its burning great and it's only a couple months old. It will run great in Thermostat mode. Anybody run into this problem or having any suggestions.

Thanks In advance.

#2 is your vacuum, maybe try a little more open on your damper, or kick your draft trim up a bit. Prog 3 with a 5 heat is a lot of pellets, gonna take a lot of air,don't think I've ever run mine that high. Also have you cleaned your vent?

Thanks For the replys it's possible that wind is blowing thru the vent, but not sure how to tell. Hoss i will give your sugestion a try tonight. Do you run it on manual or thermostat during the colder months?

Thanks

On a windy day, Hang down by the stove. You should hear the vacuum switch "click" if the wind is effecting it. Usually adding some more damper air helps this too! Sounds like your riding right on the edge with your damper setting, I'd do what hoss said. Give it a bit more JIC.

Thanks J i will do that is there a way to prevent the wind from affecting it?

pmb1206 said:
Thanks J i will do that is there a way to prevent the wind from affecting it?

Depends on your setup, They do offer high wind caps for some, But I think thats for verticle over the roof line installs. I haven't seen any for the horizontal terminations.

I also have a Rev and had the same problem on a couple of very cold nights, including two nights ago. Only it was the #3 light blinking (look straight on, it's hard to tell). Last night as an experiment I pulled off the outside air pipe and it ran fine all night. (This isn't the same issue as it is with a stove in the living space, since it's in my unheated crawl space with plenty of leaks to outside air, and isn't recycling air I've paid to heat). I'm not sure if there's some restriction in my outdoor air and for sure it's too cold out now for me to play around with it. Might be something to try, though.

The OAK could be an issue if the wind sucks the air out of the stove. It will shut the vacuum switch off. But usually it has the oposite effect and forces air into the unit. The vent is what gets killed when air is forced in. It will dump the vacuum switch and the stove stops feeding fuel. Both issues could be addressed with the proper termination cap.

I do not have an OAK installed it's a basement install, with a open floor plan should i have an OAK installed?

pmb1206 said:
Thanks For the replys it's possible that wind is blowing thru the vent, but not sure how to tell. Hoss i will give your sugestion a try tonight. Do you run it on manual or thermostat during the colder months?

Thanks

95% of the time on t'stat in the cold time, when it gets below the donut, I'll run in manual. Daytime highs get to 50 or so I'll switch to Smartstat

If pmb is still around and having this problem, I think I may have solved it for myself. I was also dumping out with a #2 error whenever it got very cold, maddening because it would run all day and night when it was in the 20s and 30s. My vent system is marginal, I think, which I'll address in the spring - but adding to that I think I had a slight restriction in the vacuum hose that leads to the vacuum sensor. Get the stove cold and unplug it. Remove the access panel right next to the control board (10 screws). You'll be looking right at the vacuum switch, an aluminum disc with two white hoses going to it. One goes right to the side of the furnace, ignore it. The one in the back travels off towards the firebox. Pull it off the switch, take a deep breath and blow into it. I gently ran a piece of coat hanger wire down it as well. The other end of this system is a tiny (maybe 1/16") hole on the left side of the firebox halfway across and a couple of inches off the bottom. When you're looking at the hose it's easy to picture where it will end up. Run your coat hanger wire in there, too, and brush away any ash or crud around it. With the hose disconnected (important!) stick your Shopvac or whatever you use to vacuum the firebox out over the hole and suck out anything inside. Put the hose back on the switch, remount the panel and you should be good to go. I sat there and watched on Friday night as it dumped out when the outdoor temperature hit 12 degrees. I blew out that hose yesterday morning, and it ran all day with the temps in the mid-teens, and also ran flawlessly all night - not sure what the actual low here was, but it was 7 degrees out around 2:30 am and 10 degrees when I got up at nine. Give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.