1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet furnace and still keeping oil as secondary

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by nammysu, Sep 17, 2013.

1. nammysu

nammysu New Member

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I did try to search for my answer but couldn't find it.

I moved into my house almost a year ago here in New England where it's COLD. There's no natural gas here and currently my furnace runs on oil. I was planning to get a pellet fireplace insert, but then I thought about a pellet furnace. So here's my question...

I'd like to be able to put in a pellet furnace. But is it possible to keep my oil furnace as a backup/secondary heating system?

Thanks,
    Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Furnace (hot air) - or boiler (hot water)?

Either way I think the answer is generally yes - but we don't know much about your system or house.
  3. nammysu

nammysu New Member

It's a forced hot air system.
    3,000 sf feet.

What other information should I provide here? I'm sorry for being such a newbie!
  4. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I'm out already - I know next to nothing about furnaces, and not a whole lot about pellets.

Maybe a pellet boiler would be something to consider - it could do all your DHW, and you could likely add in a heat exchanger to your plenum or ductwork somewhere to heat your house easier than you could duct in a second furnace. Maybe. There are some very nice pellet boilers on the market, I'm sure you'll get more input from others.
  5. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Are you in Maine by any chance? They have some serious $$ available for pellet boiler installations.