Pellet Furnace Exhaust Venting, please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atracksler

Apr 13, 2011
Kittery, ME
Installing a Traeger GBU070 next week. I have the plenum all set to go. I need some help with the exhaust....

Do I need to use pellet venting? Or can I just use 4" galvanized ducting? In going from the furnace through 2 elbows a short run of pipe and out a wall to a horizontal termination.

Thanks in advance!

if its a pellet unit, you want to use pellet venting.

I figured as much.

I have a short jog from the exhaust vent to the wall, so I'd need to go:

Furnace
90 elbow
12" run of straight
90 elbow
horizontal termination.

Can I use something like the Duravent Stove Flex Pipe so that it just ran:

Furnace
Flexpipe
Horizontal Termination?

singe wall pipe is only appropriate if its run inside of masonary. you want double wall PL type vent pipe. Stainless inner, galvy outer....not worth it to jury rig it to save a few dollars once you've gotten to this point.

Got it!

So the other option I have for venting is through my chimney...

Here is my oil furnace (will be used for backup if I need it...)

photo.JPG

I was thinking of rotating the straight section 180 degrees and tying the exhaust into that... would that work?

I was gonna say most towns code say no flue sharing with oil and solid fuel devices.

You only need to keep the furnace close to the original ducting. Move to an exterior wall and vent up and out.

I'll check on the code...

The only place I can vent outside is here:

photo2.jpg

This overhang is under my porch.

The venting area is between the two doors, right about where the 90degree elbow is...

I noticed your location is listed as Kittery Maine. I believe that the state passed a law that allows wood burning appliances to vent into the same flue as an oil burning applicance recently. I dont not know the details of the law and if it covers your situation. I do remember that the law was controversial as it goes against national standards. It may be worht doing some searching for this law.

peakbagger said:
I noticed your location is listed as Kittewry Maine. I believe that the state passed a law that allows wood burning appliances to vent into the same flue as an oil burning applicance recently. I dont not know the details of the law and if it covers your situation. I do remember that the law was controversial as it goes against national standards. It may be worht doing some searching for this law.

It depends upon where you are located (home rule can result in a stricter local ordinance) and the age and setup of the existing heating system.

In other words in new construction it is still a no no and in existing construction the didn't already have multiple devices venting into the same flue it is still a no no.

The change basically grand fathered existing pre current code setups.

I mean no disrespect, but you are not following the proper installation instructions at all for your furnace, and I sincerely hope that you have no children and live alone because how you are going about this is dangerous.

The guys here making recommendations and comments are used to their pellet stoves, not boilers/furnaces. They are NOT the same.

Unless you bought the unit used, I 'assume' you purchased it from Mark. It is WELL WORTH the money to let him and Jeff install the unit. As 'General Instruction' #9 states: "This is a good furnace, but it cannot make up for a poor or incorrect installation".

You WILL have major if not life threatening issues if you terminate horizontal!

http://www.pinnaclestove.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gbu070mn.pdf

atracksler said:
my manual said that vertical termination is allowable.. hmm...

I bought the unit used. Dont know who mark or jeff are...

VERTICAL termination is allowable 2' above roof line.

HORIZONTAL termination is not, which is what you had stated in your first post.

You also need Class "L" pipe (also known as PL vent); or in an existing Class "A" chimney you must have an approved 4" liner.

Mark is Mark Norwood who is a distributor of Traeger/Pinnacle Biomass products in the North East. Jeff is Jeff Sturgis who is a certified solid fuels installer. I bought my Traeger/Pinnacle Biomass boiler from Mark, and had Jeff install it ~ which granted is a lot more difficult than a furnace.

Not installing the furnace to manufacturers specifications will void you homeowners insurance, and my fear is much worse if you try to terminate on a horizontal.

Anyway, I would strongly suggest you contact Mark http://www.evergreenheat.com/ (207-807-6570).

Status
Not open for further replies.