Pellet Furnace recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithg

Jan 2, 2012
Upstate NY
I recently purchased a 1700sq.ft. farmhouse in upstate NY. In our old house, also here in upstate,we had an Englander 25pdvc. I am looking to install a pellet furnace this time and would like to know if anyone has suggestions on makes/models. I would love to stick with Englander, but it looks like they don't make a furnace. Looking for affordability, ability to work on it myself (like Englander!), and one that will put out enough heat and work with our existing ductwork. Let me know what you think folks!

I'm a bit biased, but the Fahrenheit furnace is worth a look.

http://www.fahrenheittech.com/

I'm heating just under 1700 square feet on the main level. I picked mine up used, but even new they aren't too outrageously priced.

A few other members here have the Fahrenheit. There are a few more PF-100 owners and a St. Croix or two. I'm sure others will chime in.

Haraman PF100
Yet another spelling==c I'm partial to the Harman myself .IMHO they will burn rocks with the bottom feed arrangement. I have burned several types of pellets withno concerns.

Reactions: smithg
The Fahrenheit (I am biased as well) is a nice unit, although its only 50,000 BTU, it does not have a problem in my home (2,180 sq upstairs and about 800 sq ft in the basement where it resides). Granted I run a wood stove in tandem about 90% of the time when furnace is running. I have ran without the wood eater and it still does a god job on the same heat level, never used ver level 3 out of 5.
The St.Croix revolution (70,000) would have been my 1st choice if buying new, but I bought used. I thought I was gonna need a 70,000 unit and I am happy to say that I do not.

With the auto cleaning feature on the Revolution and Fahrenheit, it can run for FOREVER, without shutting down for cleaning (SCF-050 has a nice cleaning feature also) and with the multi fuel rating. All 3 of these can burn anything that's thrown there way.

image.jpg

Reactions: smithg
The Fahrenheit (I am biased as well) is a nice unit, although its only 50,000 BTU, it does not have a problem in my home (2,180 sq upstairs and about 800 sq ft in the basement where it resides). Granted I run a wood stove in tandem about 90% of the time when furnace is running. I have ran without the wood eater and it still does a god job on the same heat level, never used ver level 3 out of 5.
The St.Croix revolution (70,000) would have been my 1st choice if buying new, but I bought used. I thought I was gonna need a 70,000 unit and I am happy to say that I do not.

With the auto cleaning feature on the Revolution and Fahrenheit, it can run for FOREVER, without shutting down for cleaning (SCF-050 has a nice cleaning feature also) and with the multi fuel rating. All 3 of these can burn anything that's thrown there way.

View attachment 109458

Nice setup !! Your beer is getting warm though. Going to look at the Revolution Monday.

Thanks everybody for the information and pics!

View attachment 109458
Ho do you vent with this unit?

Went to look at the Revolution at the local St. Croix dealer, I guess I should have called first. This woman was very rude and had one pellet stove in her store, the Prescott. I wish we had more pellet stove dealers in this area, I may need to look into starting up a shop. I'm thinking about the Drolet Eco-65 from Northern tool but buying from a catalog makes me a little nervous. At least I found some pellets at a store fairly close, Lignetics $219 a ton and he also carries Harman Stoves. He told me he'd sell me a P-68 for $ 3800, so that's another option. By the way my name is Rick and I'm a noobie that tends to ramble....:)

The Drolet Eco-65 is the same as the Enerzone Euromax. Which is a pretty nice stove. The Eco 65 was on sale last year for $2,000 and a couple members took advantage. They seem to be pretty happy. Also, at least 2 members used the duct kit.

I recently bought an SBI stove (Enerzone, Drolet, PSG) and couldn't be happier. Very easy to clean. Easy to work on. Mine is still in the garage. Waiting on install. But I am excited and looking forward to the bottom feed system they use and the features the Eurostar has :)

For the price. The Eco 65 is hard to beat. Especially because of the ducting ability

2013-08-28 16.46.46.png

Closest dealer for the Eco-65 is 100 miles so it would be a order item for me. Looked it up and Costco had it for 2399 with free shipping. Not familiar with Costco, but its 2599 through Northern Tool right now and I don't think that includes shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.