pellet furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwoodl

Mar 11, 2013
I am considering installing a wood pellet furnace and hooking it up to the existing duct work. I saw a US Stove model 8500 on the internet that looked good. 105,000 BTUs. Any advice regarding this unit? Elwoodl.

A member on another web site just got one and was very pleased with it so far.......key word so far. I say this cause I have the 6500 and it's okay but not a real quality unit in my eyes.

Problems with my unit were/are...

1. Had 1st furnace 4 months and the room fan went south...returned to store for whole new furnace.
2. Many places inside unit not sealed from factory so it was pulling soot in to the room fan and blowing it around the building.
3. My model doesn't have fresh air intake like the new ones do.
4. Don't believe I am getting the BTU's out of it like it's rated for no mater what I do or burn.

If your not in a hurry I would wait and see how they perform otherwise I would highly recommend a Fahrenheit Endurance from what I have read on here.

The St Croix Revolution is a very good furnace also and it has a multi-fuel burn pot. Requires 4" venting and a 3" air intake but give 3" take off for exhaust and 2" for intake. A bit confusing. they also give you a 12" round plenum takeoff and if you reduce to 10" too close to the base there is a fair amount of air escaping through the shell. Also uses one hell of a blower which in my opinion is kinda overkill.

Oh and I don't like the fact that the 8500 has a solid door on the front..... you can't see how your fire is burning and that can tell you a lot.

The US Stove model works, but what I have read here, is that it has its little issues that need tweaking and has a healthy appetite. Some make them work, and work well. Some have nothing but issues.

The St. Croix Revolution, as Scott said, is a Solid unit with a few members here. As is the Fahrenheit Endurance 50F. Me and a few other members have one and love it..

But... Depending on the size and layout, you may want to look into the PF-100 made by Harman. It's about double the size of the 2 listed above. In both BTU and distribution blower size.

Where are you located? There was one in my local CL for about $2k OBO? Heck of a deal for a Cadillac.

Welcome to the Forums

Do your research. Do you know what it takes to make 105,000 BTU? Lets do the math, 105,000 divided by 8,200 (average BTU to a pound of pellets) The answer is 12.8 pounds of pellets per hour. Yes give or take that is what you need to make 105,000 BTU. Also remember what you will loose during the exhausting as the pellets burn. You can do a lot more with a free stander for less money.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.